Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    You mean 1.14?
    xorg-server 1.13 is supported since Catalyst 13.1.
    On Catalyst, yes, but not on the legacy Catalyst drivers for HD2000-HD4000 cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      On Catalyst, yes, but not on the legacy Catalyst drivers for HD2000-HD4000 cards.
      Don't hold your breath.

Comment

Am I right to assume that this one does not support xorg-server 1.14? If so, does that mean we have to wait for Ubuntu 13.10 to get support for that?

Comment

I hate being stuck on an old version of the distro that I use :

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I am using Ubuntu 13.04 and it has the 3.8 kernel.

Reason distributions don't use latest kernel and X.org Server is sometimes because AMD don't support it yet.
            So AMD is holding back progress on Linux by being slow to support latest kernels and X.
            After a discussion on the Slackware forum it is now official, Slackware will revert back from Xserver 1.14 to 1.13 for the upcoming Slackware 14.1, just because the Slackware team doesn't want to release a version that will not be able to run with AMD's proprietary drivers.

Thank you AMD, you have slowed down Slackware's development.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              After a discussion on the Slackware forum it is now official, Slackware will revert back from Xserver 1.14 to 1.13 for the upcoming Slackware 14.1, just because the Slackware team doesn't want to release a version that will not be able to run with AMD's proprietary drivers.

Thank you AMD, you have slowed down Slackware's development.
              That's the first time I hear of a distribution which revert from its original plan due to the Catalyst driver.
              Usually those distributions don't care and you have to downgrade manually. And I think this is the correct way.
              Arch, for instance, provides separate repositories for xorg-server 1.12 and 1.13 (xorg112 and xorg113).
              AFAIK, the only reason they exist is to support AMD Catalyst users (xorg112 is required for the legacy Catalyst).

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                Back on topic, AMD's page still lists 13.3 beta 3 from last month, it might be time to stop announcing stuff that's not officially out because some random Bozo McLame found a random URL on AMD's servers.
                My apologies, I (re)downloaded the 13.3 beta 3 package, and the md5 sum differs from the 13.3 beta 3 zip I downloaded the day it was released.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                  My apologies, I (re)downloaded the 13.3 beta 3 package, and the md5 sum differs from the 13.3 beta 3 zip I downloaded the day it was released.
                  Thank you for the info, now I will (re) download them them too.

Comment

I like to warn other people who already had 13.3 beta 3 installed ( the older ?) ones.

When I tried to install them, amd said I had to un install the old driver first.

So I tried, but it failed, some files were changed wtf? and it could not remove all files.

Leaving the desktop did not solve this.

So I added --force to the un install command.
                    And that was the end of my desktop, and openSUSE 12.3 installation.

Then I reinstalled openSUSE without formatting my home partition.

You gotta love Linux.
                    I only had to install a few program.
                    Thunderbird being one of them, but after this all my old emails are still there. ( and the address book )
                    Firefox, all bookmarks and forum passwords survived the reinstall too.
                    Reinstalled steam, and I did not even had to type my log in details, nor reinstall the games.

Steam is working now with the opensource driver on openSUSE, but I cant start the game serious sam 3, it reports the drivers are too old.
                    That will be fixed after I install the amd drivers again though.

Not sure yet which ones I will pick, the latest beta again or the latest non beta.

Comment

Before You attempt to install Catalyst drivers again, make sure You have installed gcc, binutils, make,... etc, and especially kernel headers (kernel-desktop-devel package). Also You can try to setup ssh access to your pc, next time your desktop crash - You'll be able to login remotely to it, and try to fix problems without re-install.

Sorry for my bad English.

Comment

Working...
                      X