Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

Phoronix: New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

AMD has released a new Catalyst Linux graphics driver, which supports modern Linux kernel releases while having various other fixes in store too. Some of the OpenGL fixes will help those playing some Linux Steam client games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

AMD has released a new Catalyst Linux graphics driver, which supports modern Linux kernel releases while having various other fixes in store too. Some of the OpenGL fixes will help those playing some Linux Steam client games...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0ODI
    Go Go Go AMD !

it can only get better

but please don't improve too slowly

nice work

Comment

There is no problem with kernel 3.9 for fglrx or nvidia. When the drivers support kernel 3.8 then it works with 3.9 too. I only need a fix for ndiswrapper. I don't get why amd changed the file without changeing the name, when i don't know what is different then it is useless to package.

Comment

Am I right to assume that this one does not support xorg-server 1.14? If so, does that mean we have to wait for Ubuntu 13.10 to get support for that?
        Bridgman, if you read this, do you have access to some kind of roadmap for the Catalyst driver (if such thing even exists)?

Comment

I really wish AMD would keep up to date on kernel support like NVIDIA does. Seems AMD is always a bit behind, and hesitant to support the latest kernels and xorg version until basically forced to. This is one of the main reasons I switched almost fully to NVIDIA in most of my computers, not to mention the fact they dropped support for anything other than HD5XXX and above.

Thanks for the info though, I will be trying these drivers out on Ubuntu 13.04 with the Radeon HD 6870 tonight. Nice to see AMD still progressing, even if a bit slow.

Comment

Sigh... I wish AMD would put out a new fglrx legacy driver too. I don't have the money for a new GPU (besides my HD3850 can run a load of games just fine) and I hate being stuck on an old version of the distro that I use :-(.

Comment

Anyone know if the HoN freeze/crash is fixed?
              My XServer/display always freezed after I left the game, since the first beta driver.

Comment

Originally posted by erpe View Post
                Anyone know if the HoN freeze/crash is fixed?
                My XServer/display always freezed after I left the game, since the first beta driver.
                I had'nt any problems with HoN with 13.2/13.3 beta drivers. What graphics card and OS do you use? Mine: Ubuntu 12.10, Radeon HD 6930.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                  I had'nt any problems with HoN with 13.2/13.3 beta drivers. What graphics card and OS do you use? Mine: Ubuntu 12.10, Radeon HD 6930.
                  ArchLinux, Radeon HD 5770

Comment

Sight.

Kernel support for Catalyst is based around kernel module which is GPL2....

Now if only AMD folks where able enough to realize that someone in Arch dev community always have needed changes BEFORE stable kernels are released. Or is Catalys team having NIH syndrome, or superiority syndrome that prevent them from realizing that someone can beat them to the code.

(Though no complaints about FLOSS AMD team :P)

Comment

Working...
                    X