Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 95

Thread: New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,396

    Default New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

    Phoronix: New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

    AMD has released a new Catalyst Linux graphics driver, which supports modern Linux kernel releases while having various other fixes in store too. Some of the OpenGL fixes will help those playing some Linux Steam client games...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0ODI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

    AMD has released a new Catalyst Linux graphics driver, which supports modern Linux kernel releases while having various other fixes in store too. Some of the OpenGL fixes will help those playing some Linux Steam client games...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0ODI
    Go Go Go AMD !

    it can only get better

    but please don't improve too slowly


    nice work

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,645

    Default

    There is no problem with kernel 3.9 for fglrx or nvidia. When the drivers support kernel 3.8 then it works with 3.9 too. I only need a fix for ndiswrapper. I don't get why amd changed the file without changeing the name, when i don't know what is different then it is useless to package.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Am I right to assume that this one does not support xorg-server 1.14? If so, does that mean we have to wait for Ubuntu 13.10 to get support for that?
    Bridgman, if you read this, do you have access to some kind of roadmap for the Catalyst driver (if such thing even exists)?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    69

    Default

    I really wish AMD would keep up to date on kernel support like NVIDIA does. Seems AMD is always a bit behind, and hesitant to support the latest kernels and xorg version until basically forced to. This is one of the main reasons I switched almost fully to NVIDIA in most of my computers, not to mention the fact they dropped support for anything other than HD5XXX and above.

    Thanks for the info though, I will be trying these drivers out on Ubuntu 13.04 with the Radeon HD 6870 tonight. Nice to see AMD still progressing, even if a bit slow.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Koszalin, Poland
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Sigh... I wish AMD would put out a new fglrx legacy driver too. I don't have the money for a new GPU (besides my HD3850 can run a load of games just fine) and I hate being stuck on an old version of the distro that I use :-(.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Anyone know if the HoN freeze/crash is fixed?
    My XServer/display always freezed after I left the game, since the first beta driver.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erpe View Post
    Anyone know if the HoN freeze/crash is fixed?
    My XServer/display always freezed after I left the game, since the first beta driver.
    I had'nt any problems with HoN with 13.2/13.3 beta drivers. What graphics card and OS do you use? Mine: Ubuntu 12.10, Radeon HD 6930.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmaxx View Post
    I had'nt any problems with HoN with 13.2/13.3 beta drivers. What graphics card and OS do you use? Mine: Ubuntu 12.10, Radeon HD 6930.
    ArchLinux, Radeon HD 5770

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Sight.

    Kernel support for Catalyst is based around kernel module which is GPL2....

    Now if only AMD folks where able enough to realize that someone in Arch dev community always have needed changes BEFORE stable kernels are released. Or is Catalys team having NIH syndrome, or superiority syndrome that prevent them from realizing that someone can beat them to the code.

    (Though no complaints about FLOSS AMD team :P)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •