Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Valve's Steam Client Bad & Damaging For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Agreed.
    The reason why Android is so successful*, is because it is free/open without the "big scary enforcement" part. They accomplish this by using APL rather than GPL (which only applies to the kernel).

* more than 75% of mobile smart device shipments run Android currently, Android total device shipments *currently* exceed the total operating system shipments by MS (mobile+phone, desktop, and server), and forecasts show that the majority of ALL devices (more than 50%) with operating systems (including "dumbphones") will be Android devices by 2017. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...phones-tablets

If anybody is looking for a successful model for open source software, they really need to look straight at Google, since to date, they are the ONLY really and truly (and MASSIVELY) successful open source software vendor.
    I dont think you can attribute all of androids success to the licence. would it have been even bigger if they had used a BSD kernel? I'd suspect that the success of android is far more to do with having a giant like google behind it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
      It's one thing to argue the main point of whether Steam and a Steam near-monopoly is good/bad for Linux...

It's another to argue that this site is not advocating for Steam whether that is right or not. You are disagreeing with me but really aren't making a case here. I don't think there is one. Michael Larabel *is* advocating for Steam.
      Again, coverage doesn't equal advocacy, neither does recognizing benefits of someone like Valve moving to the platform. I hate to have to repeat myself, but if you think adding "*is*" to a sentence somehow has made your 'case' validated, you would be wrong. and while you say i haven't made a case - most of your comments are based on your own bias and interpretation, nothing more...

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
      The most reasonable argument that I can think of defending Steam and their presumed monopoly is this: how is Steam's ownership of the game DRM marketplace different from Amazon or Apple having dominant positions over DRM download marketplaces in e-books and music songs?

To counter my own argument:

1) Amazon/Apple did more for books/music. Amazon had arguably the best and cheapest mainstream e-ink reading devices that sold tons. And it had the best physical book store. It's Kindle software is everywhere: PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and of course Kindle e-ink readers. Sony/Google/Apple don't have that matched. Apple had the overwhelmingly popular iPod for a while. And there are still, pretty good alternatives with Amazon, Google, etc. Users and music publishers really have choice.

2) There isn't this vocal minority advocating so intensely against even basic competition. Look through this thread: Valve loyalists everywhere. I support Valve having the right to compete, but I'd like to see some viable alternatives.

Well, I'm suggesting that alternatives to Steam need more advocacy and publicity. Quietly not using Steam myself doesn't really achieve that goal.
      Name one viable alternative, at this point. ~ there isn't one for linux, so what the hell are you even trying to advocate exactly???

it's also funny how you claim everyone is "Valve loyalists" simply for not agreeing with your points of view ~ while you haven't even considered an "alternative" here ~ maybe they aren't loyalists, but instead maybe your reasoning (or lack thereof) just isn't as convincing as you think.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
        2) There isn't this vocal minority advocating so intensely against even basic competition. Look through this thread: Valve loyalists everywhere. I support Valve having the right to compete, but I'd like to see some viable alternatives.
        I am certainly not a Valve loyalist. I haven't even used Steam beyond initial tests when it was just released for Linux. Do you call people Valve loyalists simply because they do not share your point of view? It is not Valve's fault that there are no viable alternatives.

Well, I'm suggesting that alternatives to Steam need more advocacy and publicity. Quietly not using Steam myself doesn't really achieve that goal.
        Where are these notable alternatives? Suggest them!

Comment

• Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          It's good for Linux and hopefully draws attention from Logitech and alike which are still to lazy or ignore open source at all.
          Buy Roccat instead. All their drivers are open source.

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
            Buy Roccat instead. All their drivers are open source.
            I just ordered a Ryos MK Pro and Tyon mouse due to this post. Hopefully I don't regret it, but after trying out a few mechanical keyboards, I decided I wanted one, and well the Tyon has a bilion mouse buttons which is nice.

Comment

• No but....

Valve using Linux is the best thing that could have happened to Linux. The only damage is if Valve pulls the plug. If that happens then I think Linux's reputation would take a pretty bad hit. I honestly think it was a good decision. Microsoft has been trying to get gamers off Windows and onto there Xbox platforms and also have been planning on having there own software store in the future. Mac is not to much different. Linux lets Valve worry about the games ( mostly ) and not which direction the OS is going.

Comment

Working...
              X