Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Valve's Steam Client Bad & Damaging For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Valve's Steam Client Bad & Damaging For Linux?

Phoronix: Is Valve's Steam Client Bad & Damaging For Linux?

When I exclusively reported last year that Valve would be releasing their Steam client for Linux and Source Engine, most Linux desktop users and gamers were filled with joy. However, now that the Steam client is out in the wild and more and more games are coming to Linux via this digital distribution system, it seems not everyone is happy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's good for Linux and hopefully draws attention from Logitech and alike which are still to lazy or ignore open source at all.

Comment

No, in a word.

DRM sucks, it isn't going away. The alternative is HiB which has some pretty rough ports with no updates....

Comment

Wow, just wow. Finally, a commercial company is porting his games to Linux and some people start bashing their effort? Don't want closed-source? Then don't use it. And if you want to bash, bash all the other companies that are not even considering porting their games to Linux.

Sjees...

Comment

Steam is optional. If you don't like proprietary software, than don't use it. Case closed. Go play console tic-tac-toe instead and stay in your mom's basement.

Proprietary software is what GNU/Linux needs right now. We need professional a-grade games, video editors etc. Not to mention software companies like Valve are contributing a lot to drivers, tools etc... things that we would not have otherwise. Linux needs a good push in right direction, we wan't it to be 'better', don't we?

I just don't see how can a hippie in his basement develop a $1,000,000 software project by himself. Unfortunately, some software has to be proprietary to exist. It is fundamentally impossible for it to be free as freedom or even free as free beer.

Now, from perspective of end user - I want to play PROPRIETARY game, I have these options:
          - Boot into Windows and suffer
          - Run VM and suffer
          - Go with Wine and hope it works semi-decently and suffer
          - Double click in Steam and play and have good time

I think the latter option is best for everyone. Thank you Valve for your effort to make it possible.
          Last edited by jan1024188; 07 April 2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

moronix once again

Is dumb moronix bad & damaging for Linux? Yes! Only on moronix we can find such childish articles which are really damaging to Linux and Valve. If someone doesn't want steam nobody forces him to install it. It's such simple, but moronix have to scream about some thread like a little baby.

Comment

The only real thing about Valve's efforts that I have a problem with is how close they are to Canonical. They could have chosen a more distro neutral approach, but instead it seems they got in bed with Shuttleworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                The only real thing about Valve's efforts that I have a problem with is how close they are to Canonical. They could have chosen a more distro neutral approach, but instead it seems they got in bed with Shuttleworth.
                You are not a developer, huh? You do not know how hard it is to battle fragmentation on Linux. If I was an enterprise, I would partner up with Canonical too.

Comment

The sense of entitlement that some people have is just amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500
                    There is no such thing as a distro-neutral approach. The large majority of potential Linux Steam users are probably people running Ubuntu. I think this is an assessment made in advance to cater to the biggest group. In this context, one could consider Ubuntu to be 'distro-neutral'.

Furthermore, if it runs on Ubuntu it will probably even run on Gentoo without much hassle.

Comment

Working...
                    X