Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
    processor: $50, pentium

motherboard: $50, mini-itx

Blu-ray: $40, reader

Case + PSU: $40, m-atx slim or m-itx

RAM: $25, ~4 GB+

Wifi: $15, 150 mbps N

HDD: $45, 500 GB

Controller: $35, Bio-feedback controller (I have no idea what this would actually cost and this is a very wishful estimate.)

GPU: $70, Nvidia GFX ~GT 640 or better, Small Form Factor

Linux OS: $0, =P
    50$ is two core G2020. You really want i5 if you do anything gaming. Thats 150$
    50$ motherboard is garbage pile. You really want solid-cap motherboard - Thats 70$
    BluRay reader 40$. WHY????? DVD+-RW multi. Writer. 40$.
    Case + PSU 40$. Case may cost even 10$. But PSU with 105c Jap Cap @ Silver or Gold costs 90$. Alone. Thats 100$
    Ram 4GiB 40$. Too small. Also, you get 8GiB for 40$.
    Wifi --- why? Its not notebook.
    HDD 45$, 500GB. No - 2x1TiB - 60$x2 = 120$
    GPU: $150.

Thats mid range good gaming PC, that will not break in first 3 years.

Comment

Interesting

It's a nice gesture from Dell of all people, but I'll stick to building my own Computers. I'm pretty sure that people who use Linux seriously, usually do build their own; or at least I do. But this is great to cater to the crowd that doesn't know much about computers and the Windows fanbois that constantly cry about Linux not having any support.

This is overkill anyway, about the most intensive game for Linux right now is Serious Sam 3, and I can run that on my 6670. By the time anything new comes out, that's intensive, I'm pretty sure this system would be less than optimal. Anyone agree with me, or not?.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
        It's a nice gesture from Dell of all people, but I'll stick to building my own Computers. I'm pretty sure that people who use Linux seriously, usually do build their own; or at least I do. But this is great to cater to the crowd that doesn't know much about computers and the Windows fanbois that constantly cry about Linux not having any support.

This is overkill anyway, about the most intensive game for Linux right now is Serious Sam 3, and I can run that on my 6670. By the time anything new comes out, that's intensive, I'm pretty sure this system would be less than optimal. Anyone agree with me, or not?.
        Actually a GTX 660 is perfect for Serious Sam 3, it let you go with ultra graphic and get a good 75 FPS at 1920x1080 and 60 FPS at 2560x1600, which are usually the target frame rate for more action based game, for thing to stay smooth and fluid, for most other type of game, I admit your fine with 30 FPS. (In good part why my 5670 endure, since mostly play strategy, I wish I had bought a 1024MB model instead of a 512MB, has the memory is mostly what bottleneck my GPU when I try to play the more graphically intensive title)

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          A GT 640 has DDR3 (lol), to do gaming, you'd need at least a GTX 660.

"Also $50 is a celeron price range not pentium, if you want to put down low price, pay 25$ more and get a 35W pentium instead, will have similar performance then your $50 55W celeron for lesser electricity bill."

TDPs? Who reads them today? We're talking about $25 only, not everyone runs their computer 24/7. Just like the "80+ Gold/Platinum will make you save money on the long term" joke.
          35W pentium doesn't make lower electricity bill than 55W celeron/pentium.

PC with Gold PSU has approx. 5 watts lower power consumption than with Bronze PSU.
          AC Input at 64 Watt DC output
          Seasonic Bronze - 81 Watt
          Seasonic Gold - 76 Watt
          We bring you the best power supply for gaming, no matter the size of your PC case or the power demands of your GPU.

We bring you the best power supply for gaming, no matter the size of your PC case or the power demands of your GPU.

In case
          PSU Seasonic S12II 380 Bronze - 53 Euro
          PSU Seasonic G360 Gold - 63 Euro
          1 kWh - 0.2 Euro
          8 hours per day 365 x 8 x 0.2 x 0.005 = 2.92 Euro per year
          12 hours per day 365 x 12 x 0.2 x 0.005 = 4.38 Euro per year
          Gold PSU will save money after 2.28 or 3.42 years

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
            50$ is two core G2020. You really want i5 if you do anything gaming. Thats 150$
            50$ motherboard is garbage pile. You really want solid-cap motherboard - Thats 70$
            BluRay reader 40$. WHY????? DVD+-RW multi. Writer. 40$.
            Case + PSU 40$. Case may cost even 10$. But PSU with 105c Jap Cap @ Silver or Gold costs 90$. Alone. Thats 100$
            Ram 4GiB 40$. Too small. Also, you get 8GiB for 40$.
            Wifi --- why? Its not notebook.
            HDD 45$, 500GB. No - 2x1TiB - 60$x2 = 120$
            GPU: $150.

Thats mid range good gaming PC, that will not break in first 3 years.
            i5 isn't necessary for gaming.
            $10 case will be crap. Non-crappy case costs $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811352026
            PSU Seasonic G360 Gold costs $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151117

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              35W pentium doesn't make lower electricity bill than 55W celeron/pentium.

PC with Gold PSU has approx. 5 watts lower power consumption than with Bronze PSU.
              AC Input at 64 Watt DC output
              Seasonic Bronze - 81 Watt
              Seasonic Gold - 76 Watt

In case
              PSU Seasonic S12II 380 Bronze - 53 Euro
              PSU Seasonic G360 Gold - 63 Euro
              1 kWh - 0.2 Euro
              8 hours per day 365 x 8 x 0.2 x 0.005 = 2.92 Euro per year
              12 hours per day 365 x 12 x 0.2 x 0.005 = 4.38 Euro per year
              Gold PSU will save money after 2.28 or 3.42 years
              Considering that all computer I ever owned, except that the current main PC at a point in time, were always used for over 6 years, it saving like I said. And TDP is part of energy efficiency, for it is the power dissipation, a low TDP CPU will require lesser power input then a CPU of similar performance with a higher TDP, has less energy is wasted on resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                Considering that all computer I ever owned, except that the current main PC at a point in time, were always used for over 6 years, it saving like I said. And TDP is part of energy efficiency, for it is the power dissipation, a low TDP CPU will require lesser power input then a CPU of similar performance with a higher TDP, has less energy is wasted on resistance.
                CPUs with lower TDP don't have lower power consumption

Total Benchmark Power Consumption (Watt-hours)
                Core i3 2100T - 19.2
                Core i3 2100 - 18.5
                Core i5 2400S - 15.9
                Core i5 2400 - 15.5 (14.5)
                AMD and Intel both offer incredible gaming processors, here is the best gaming CPU for a wide variety of budgets and needs.

Comment

CPUs with lower TDP don't have lower power consumption

Total Benchmark Power Consumption (Watt-hours)
                  Core i3 2100T - 19.2
                  Core i3 2100 - 18.5
                  Core i5 2400S - 15.9
                  Core i5 2400 - 15.5 (14.5)
                  http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1202-page6.html
                  You do know your comparing benchmark power consumption to execute to execute a list of benchmark, which the higher performance CPU will execute faster, thus been under load for a lesser amount of time, thus explaining why they consumed less power. The thing is that most systems are never under heavy load 100% of the time (especially most home and office desktop), thus why there is the nice average power consumption graph right under it, oddly enough the 35W TDP processor is beating everyone.
                  Last edited by iniudan; 06 April 2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                    You do know your comparing benchmark power consumption to execute to execute a list of benchmark, which the higher performance CPU will execute faster, thus been under load for a lesser amount of time, thus explaining why they consumed less power. The thing is that most systems are never under heavy load 100% of the time (especially most home and office desktop), thus why there is the nice average power consumption graph right under it, oddly enough the 35W TDP processor is beating everyone.
                    Average power consumption graph is misleading.
                    In case of idle there is only 1W difference, video playback 2W difference.
                    AMD and Intel both offer incredible gaming processors, here is the best gaming CPU for a wide variety of budgets and needs.

Comment

Average power consumption graph is misleading.
                      In case of idle there is only 1W difference, video playback 2W difference.
                      http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1202-page3.html
                      And if you go to the two next page you will notice that that the 35W TDP CPU consume about 7.6W less then the next CPU under heavy load, the thing is that it take longer period of time to execute the benchmark test.

Comment

Working...
                      X