Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving back to Windows, thanks for the memories

As topic.

I have managed to secure a short 6-month internship that should earn me enough pocket money to get by while looking for more permanent employment for the future.

Problem is, the job requires knowledge of SQL Server and .NET, both of which are Microsoft-exclusive technologies, and while I was told that the department I'm assigned to have someone to mentor and guide me along the way since I only have no more than school-level rudimentary knowledge in those two areas, the onus is on me to learn as much as I can before I actually start work. And I'm not keen on running Windows on a VM, especially not when SQL Server and Visual Studio are heavy beasts last time i checked. Neither do I wish to dual boot; i generally prefer my computers to run one and only one operating system.

So i guess this is it for me on Linux. Thanks for the memories everyone, it's been great while it lasted.

Thanks for the fish, and looking forward to seeing you back once you find out the latest Windows Server has Metro *cough* modern UI *cough* block UI.

Comment

VS runs at virtually native speed in VMware (something like 97%.) Generally, it doesn't matter how much of a "heavy beast" something is when running it virtualized.

And now don't tell me you don't want to use VMware since it's non-free, as you're about to use Windows anyway.
      Last edited by RealNC; 05 April 2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        VS runs at virtually native speed in VMware (something like 97%.) Generally, it doesn't matter how much of a "heavy beast" something is when running it virtualized.

And now don't tell me you don't want to use VMware since it's non-free, as you're about to use Windows anyway.
        I'm not referring to performance. And I'm not the kind of person who refuses to use non-free software (i actually lean quite in favor of Microsoft and closed / proprietary sw if you take a good look at my old posts in the forum)

No, my problem with visualization is that I'm using a 60GB SSD as my only storage device. Fedora 17 + self-compiled FF (v18 + v19) + full Android SDK (from Android v2.2 - v4.0) + self-compiled Chromium has already taken up most of the space inside that SSD. No way the remaining space can fit a virtualized Windows 8 + SQL Server Standard + Visual Studio 2012 Professional. By my estimates, formatting the SSD and installing all the stuff needed for a proper Windows development environment should require something in the region of 30 - 40GB of space, just enough for the SSD to handle.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 05 April 2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Noooooo!

We loose one of the pro-SecureBoat supporters!

He now says "Bye Linux", oh no !!

But at least he still works for Intel ... :hope:

My old heart can't hold this drama anymore!!!

I think I must install Solaris with CDE on handheld and write a tragic post about it... ((

i generally prefer my computers to run one and only one operating system.
          Looks like I must burn all my electronics to the ground, and install Solaris everywhere.

May your bold, true, open spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Ballmer!

Amen brother!
          Last edited by brosis; 05 April 2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X