Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Progresses For FreeBSD

Phoronix: AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Progresses For FreeBSD

More of the Radeon kernel mode-setting (KMS) driver stack being ported to FreeBSD from Linux is beginning to function...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KMS on BSD is a waste of time

Why bother with KMS on BSD?

It'll never be used by any sane person

The only thing that will happen is Mac OSX absorbing the code and benefiting. Nothing more.

That's why the makers of these KMS drivers for Linux should make thier code GPL not BSD. Even when BSDed initially, linking to the Linux kernel which is GPL makes the drivers GPL. So those BSD nutcases are violating the GPL as they have always did: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...en-source-code

Comment

When they talk about FreeBSD 10, I always laugh my ass off. Cause many predict FreeBSD will be no more and the code base absorbed by apple.

http://www.trollaxor.com/2012/05/fre...e-quality.html

Comment

This is great news.
        With Intel, AMD (ATI) and Nvidia covered, there's only VIA left to support with FreeBSD.

Comment

I remember when KMS drivers on Linux were at about this point, and people were calling it good enough to start switching. Not all that long ago, either. I'd be surprised if it's stable before Q4, but I'd expect to see it stable before Summer 2014.

Apple already has drivers, though I can't say anything about quality.

Comment

I think Micheal just posts BSD articles mostly to sit back and laugh at the BSD troll(s) flood the thread, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              For the past few months, the open-source Linux Radeon KMS driver has been ported to Linux.
              The fact that the above 7 posts did not mention the above, is to me, almost undeniable proof that no one read the article and went straight to the forums to vent his 'opinion'.

Take that, you trolls...

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                This is great news.
                With Intel, AMD (ATI) and Nvidia covered, there's only VIA left to support with FreeBSD.
                There's still work to be done to make it day-to-day usable, but indeed; this is going to make my life a bit easier. I can't wait for the different KMS projects to all be (good enough to be) enabled by default.

Comment

Nice........

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                    I think Micheal just posts BSD articles mostly to sit back and laugh at the BSD troll(s) flood the thread, lol.
                    Lol, indeed! It's pretty damn funny actually.

Comment

Working...
                    X