Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce 9 Linux Driver Available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce 9 Linux Driver Available?

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 9 Linux Driver Available?

This morning NVIDIA has introduced their first GeForce 9 graphics card, with the introduction of the GeForce 9600GT. The NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT isn't the new high-end graphics card, but rather their next-generation mainstream graphics card that is designed to compete with AMD's recent Radeon HD 3850 and 3870...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As far as I know the 9xxx series aren't very different from the 8xxx series, so the support should be just as good as it is now for the 8xxx.

Comment

I have the Evga SC 9600GT and it's possible to get that card to work in linux with the 171.05 drivers.
      => ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/171.05/

Overall things seem to work, but it still seems a bit flakey overall - had compiz segfault and when I leave a game I seem to get a 5-10s freeze before I can do anything again.

Hopefully we'll see proper drivers soon - the 171.05 drivers are a month old, don't even officially support the card and do work reasonably well so it shouldn't be that much of a monumental task to get proper drivers out ;-)

Comment

I'm confused. Is the 8800GT supported for Linux? Would you use the latest Nvidia drivers?

Version 169.12?

The 8800GT is not listed in the supported products list on the Nvidia site. The 9x00 series is not listed either.

I am not sure which card to get for my 2nd system build. I was considering a 7900 series but I've read the majority have artifact issues.

Can anyone advise? I want a card that is compatible in Linux and allows decent options for 3D, DVD video, encoding and the odd game (COD4 for e.g.) as I won't have more than 2 or 3.

I also read that the 8800GT is giving some people fan/cooling problems as some hardware configurations have the fan going at 100% with no option to modify speed. I was advised if I go for the 8800GT to get one with a Zalman-based cooler. Any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          I'm confused. Is the 8800GT supported for Linux? Would you use the latest Nvidia drivers?

Version 169.12?

The 8800GT is not listed in the supported products list on the Nvidia site.
          Fully supported.

I am not sure which card to get for my 2nd system build. I was considering a 7900 series but I've read the majority have artifact issues.

Can anyone advise? I want a card that is compatible in Linux and allows decent options for 3D, DVD video, encoding and the odd game (COD4 for e.g.) as I won't have more than 2 or 3.
          I would highly recommend the 8800GT

I also read that the 8800GT is giving some people fan/cooling problems as some hardware configurations have the fan going at 100% with no option to modify speed. I was advised if I go for the 8800GT to get one with a Zalman-based cooler. Any comments?
          That bug was resolved in the 169.09 drivers. Fan control works. The fan control bug was in 169.07. You can also use nvclock to further adjust it if you wish.

The 169.12 drivers are rock solid for 8800GT's.
          Last edited by deanjo; 06 March 2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks, deanjo.

That is interesting news. Could you recommend a 8800GT? Does it matter which brand? I read that they can get very hot and it's preferable to get one that has a customized cooler (i.e. non-refence design) or to use an aftermarket one (like a Zalman). I don't need something overclocked but would want one that doesn't overheat or have a noisy fan.

It's good to know it's supported in Linux!

Comment

New beta driver:

* Added support for GeForce 9600 GT.

Comment

The Palit GeForce 8800GT Sonic work very well I've got a couple of them.

Comment

The 171.06 driver works perfectly (from what I can tell) with the 9600gt now - no more compiz segfaults/freezes, been playing games on linux for a good 4 hours yesterday and everything works smooth as silk :-)

Comment

Deanjo, do you use nvidia 8800 GT?

It works in Linux as well as in Windows?

How does it work with compiz? (with drivers 169.12)

I know that is supported but also my Nvidia 8600M GT is supported.It doesn't work well in Linux.
                    Last edited by goblin85; 16 March 2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X