No announcement yet.

Activision & Raven Open-Source Two Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish Activision and Invictus would open source the now more or less dead Street Legal: Redline, it had some great potential if only they had fixed the physics bugs.

Still, this is great news.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      K, Jedi Academy was one of my favorite games from my Windows days, so this is actually awesome to me. I mostly enjoy it just for the sheer amount of mods available, and the multiplayer is pretty fun. This game in particular would be fun to 'learn from'. I hope it gets ported to Linux sooner than later.
      This, I loved this game.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        Errm, what about buying the game(s) and using the original assets?
        Do you really think Activision will be pleased about someone using their copyrighted assets in an unofficial port of the game? You could probably do it for your own personal use, but you couldn't release it because you don't own the assets.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
          Do you really think Activision will be pleased about someone using their copyrighted assets in an unofficial port of the game? You could probably do it for your own personal use, but you couldn't release it because you don't own the assets.
          Where is your Problem? Nobody Talk about Distribute the Assets. We Talk only about to use them with an Linux version.

Comment

There is currently work being done on this. See the github repository here: https://github.com/Razish/OpenJK

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
              errr, what about those guys that ported Doom 3 BFG to mac OS and to linux? they released the binaries and code but not the assets. are you new to this world?

Any ppl with their right minds would actually use their cds to get assets and port the client if it's all they need to play on different OS.

Comment

Raven Software is still around?! Wow I loved Soldier of Fortune which was developed by them!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                  Raven Software is still around?! Wow I loved Soldier of Fortune which was developed by them!
                  yeah still around but they are owned by activision or like i use to call them Lack-of-Vision. SoF was a fun game at that time shame that they didn't this gore idea of theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                    Yeah, their studio is about 1/4-1/2 mile from where I work. They're still around.

Also, for the people hoping for a Linux port of KOTOR, hopefully it wouldn't be too hard... There's already a MacOS port on Steam, which means that there's an OpenGL version of the game that already exists (or maybe it's cider-based...?).

Comment

Fan-made assets - of which many exist - could easily replace the assets on the CDs except for the dialogue files, but the game is really not bad at all without the dialogue since it has subtitles for everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X