Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision & Raven Open-Source Two Games

Phoronix: Activision & Raven Open-Source Two Games

The Activision and Raven Software game studios have open-sourced two of their games for "for people to learn from and play with" the code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

K, Jedi Academy was one of my favorite games from my Windows days, so this is actually awesome to me. I mostly enjoy it just for the sheer amount of mods available, and the multiplayer is pretty fun. This game in particular would be fun to 'learn from'. I hope it gets ported to Linux sooner than later.

Comment

I think that Disney closing Lucasarts has something to do with it...

Comment

YES!

Now we need a Linux port :P
        + Release KOTOR I & II and we have a deal

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
          K, Jedi Academy was one of my favorite games from my Windows days, so this is actually awesome to me. I mostly enjoy it just for the sheer amount of mods available, and the multiplayer is pretty fun. This game in particular would be fun to 'learn from'. I hope it gets ported to Linux sooner than later.
          I concur! I'm sure we'll also see it ported to the modified and improved Quake 3 engine (ioQuake?). IIRC there was an improved texture mod for one of these games, it will be sooo sweet to play this with a native Linux client. That being said, I'm going to fire up WINE for the first time in a couple years!

Comment

Great news

Hope to see native version on Linux soon :-)

That would be great if them open source Dark Forces 2 and Shadows of the Empire. Those are realy hard to get to work on new graphic cards.
            I also hope that Linux port of XLEngine will be there soon to play Dark Forces.

Good times for Linux Star Wars fan.

Comment

Pod-Racer anybody?

I am really glad to hear from this move!
              Nevertheless, I am still praying for Star Wars Pod-Racer to be open-sourced

Comment

Originally posted by Kingpin View Post
                Hope to see native version on Linux soon :-)
                That will take a while. Someone will need to recreate all of the game assets. This only includes the code from what I can tell (and some leftovers from their CVS repo), no assets. There's less than 30MB of zipped data between the two games.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                  That will take a while. Someone will need to recreate all of the game assets. This only includes the code from what I can tell (and some leftovers from their CVS repo), no assets. There's less than 30MB of zipped data between the two games.
                  Errm, what about buying the game(s) and using the original assets?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    Errm, what about buying the game(s) and using the original assets?
                    IIRC Steam has the games really cheap

Comment

Working...
                    X