Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Driver Brings In Better Overclock Support

Phoronix: Intel Linux Driver Brings In Better Overclock Support

Introduced last month was the ability to overclock Intel graphics under Linux while presented hours ago is a new Intel Linux kernel driver patch to provide better GPU overclocking support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean that you can overclock any recent intel gpu, or do the max frequencies still depend on the bios, which might be very conservative for laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
      Does this mean that you can overclock any recent intel gpu, or do the max frequencies still depend on the bios, which might be very conservative for laptops?
      Max frequencies allowed by the BIOS probably. You don't overclock Celerons on a B75 chipset, do you?

Comment

Building

How do I build this patch into my running kernel ? or do I have to recompile ?

Comment

Of course, if the checks are in kernel code, you have the source

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            Max frequencies allowed by the BIOS probably. You don't overclock Celerons on a B75 chipset, do you?
            I think you can do gpu overclocking on desktop all 7x chipsets. I'm more interested in mobile variants, where normally you aren't allowed to choose that you DO want the extra power draw and heat.

Comment

BTW Intel: thanks for going straight to sysfs and not hiding this in debugfs.

Comment

Now that Intel does all that work for overclocking maybe it is also a good time to expose the VIDs for control to the user? There is quite a few people out there that use PHC module for decreasing the voltage and as the result having less energy use, less fan movement and cooler box overall, but unfortunately it does not work with current line of processors

Comment

Working...
                X