No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is fantastic news! Congrats to brigdman and the team! 3D and opencl seem to be moving along at a resonable pace. Nail power managment and you are golden!

Comment

Doesn't his mean that the Radeon driver now has better video acceleration support then Catalyst?

Comment

Wonderful!!!

I hope to see more UVD news

And wellcome Fatima.

Comment

Great!

Bridgman, when will UVD1 support (I'm thinking of the HD3200M/RS780M in my laptop) come?
          Is it in the works?

@wargames: Have you really been out of the loop for the past year (link)?
          HD7xxx has been mainly in bring-up, though...so OpenCL was lower priority.
          Now there's some work on it though:
          AMD Publishes Compute Support For RadeonSI
          Last edited by Ibidem; 02 April 2013, 10:15 PM. Reason: Radeon-si opencl

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
            This is fantastic news! Congrats to brigdman and the team! 3D and opencl seem to be moving along at a resonable pace. Nail power managment and you are golden!
            I've been helping out where I can, but Tim Writer has been driving this for most of the last year.

There's a *big* list of technical and legal folks who helped with this one... I guess we should have hidden an easter egg in the code somewhere with all their names, but it's hard to hide things like that in open source
            Test signature

Comment

This is pretty good news, and I'm glad this has finally been approved and released.

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
              Great!
              Bridgman, when will UVD1 support (I'm thinking of the HD3200M/RS780M in my laptop) come?
              Is it in the works?
              I would love to see this happen as well. It would be nice to have on my 3870.

Comment

I'm really disappointed in AMD

That this wasn't released yesterday. Think of all the lulz we missed out on.

Seriously, though, this is great news. Great, great, great news.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  Great news, but no RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] support ? I can live without video acceleration because most processors can handle video decoding these days, but I cannot live without proper power management and OpenCL support. I don't even care about 3D games, but please AMD consider OpenCL... because even though your processors are not the best nowadays your graphics cards are way better than those from Nvidia for GPGPU. I would really love to buy a 7990 if it had proper OpenCL support.
                  RS880 is UDV2 it is RS780 & RS780D that are not... all three are called radeon hd 4200 though.

Also note that radeon 4200 cannot do opengl or any compute for that matter it is more of a mobile only GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by calim View Post
                    This should read "AMD Releases UVD Support For (Partially) Open Source Driver" instead, since likely 90% (the exciting part; if it's anything like on NV) of the UVD code is pre-compiled in the blob firmware ...
                    (the percentage may be open for debate)
                    It's still much better than nothing. If anything, the blob will and should be always available from AMD regardless of whether the respective cards have gone EOL or not.

It's just like Intel's WiFi cards; some are already EOL-ed but because of a FOSS driver that interfaces with its firmware blob it can still run comfortably in today's recent kernels.

Comment

rs880 does support opengl. It's not a powerhouse, but it does function.

EDIT: OH YEAH!! I'll be checking this code out ASAP. Can't wait to finally get some video decode goodness. I have a rs880 based 4200 and a NI based 6850
                      Last edited by duby229; 02 April 2013, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X