AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    At least not once the koolaid has been consumed, as you obviously have.
    In my country, there is no coolaid. So, if I prove you wrong, that would mean you are the one on "coolaid", so lets remove your pink glasses for good.
    First of all, please study this thread.
    Particularly, study later post where one user confirms how bad opensource driver performs on A8, confirming my expectations.

AMD APUs on opensource driver are 20 times slower, so slow that hardware-level slower Intel wipes floor with them.

This is the best fair result I can come up with:
    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

AMD side can be improved - if you can find A8/A10 running 1920x1080, kernel 3.5 or any later radeon driver - POST.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Why would anybody possibly want to use catalyst??? Radeon performs close (and in some cases *ahead*) of catalyst, and supports everything that catalyst does.
    Because 99% of AMD radeon supporters are catalyst consumers. In that case - better straight go nvidia, proprietary too, performed good for ages.
    So much for opensource.

But no, many AMD users use AMD just because they love two half broken drivers and consider this state of permanent breakage to be optimal [Link].
    Ok, but lets compare fairly - opensource vs opensource, should we? Radeon vs Intel on according hardware.
    By the way, its nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find A8/A10 APU on opensource radeon on openbenchmarking, 99% results are fglrx
    Don?t believe me - try!

Are you possibly confusing AMD with nvidia??? I choose AMD ***because of open source***.
    No, I am not confusing anything. I choose NOT AMD, because open source is Intel and AMD is closed source.
    Opensource AMD is inofficial, on not full documentation, inadequate support, inadequate performance.
    This opensource is not far from nvidia, where documentation is added and few developers are present.

That said, I try to use only opensource. But only if its adequate in terms of software and RnD power.
    Right now, it is not adequate. But I do appreciate what is happening today with one of AMD drivers.

Ok, so you want to REALLY MURDERFY intel then? LOL.
    As an argument to "AMD should hire 20-30 more opensource developers, which Intel already has" - yes, they can try.
    "MURDERFY" - thats LOL.

That would be helpful, but you can control power consumption quite easily already.
    On Intel its automatic. As it should be, no?

... uh, right. That poor 3D performance that is already WAY WAY better than intel, and "right up there" with nvidia blobs?
    Answered by link above. Performance is below Intel.

AMD is basically ahead of intel in ALL of your "wants".
    I purchased already 3 Intel systems to run with opensource driver. They run bug-free, cool, out of the box and have good 3D. Like it should be, no, amd-fan?
    Hope this answers "ahead" and "in ALL my wants".

If you are an opensource supporter, buy AMD. AMD open source stuff actually works. Too bad you drank the koolaid.
    Prove it then.
    If you have AMD machine, do tests: Lightsmark, Xonotic (High) and OpenArena 0.8.8. Profile: 1920x1080.
    Post profile result the result here so we can compare it to profile above, that covers HD2000,2500, 3000 and 4000.

Can use any kernel you want - I recommend 13.04, updated, with xorg-edgers, or oibaf, or stock - at your will. Because its fast and reliable result.

I have access to two Intel machines with specified configuration, one HD2000, other is HD3000.
    I can test too and submit profile to compare to your configuration.

Comment

• Thanks for the great feedback!

I'd just like to say thanks for all the positive feedback. It's great to know that our work is appreciated.

And a big thanks to John Bridgman and all the folks at AMD who helped out. You know who you are.

Tim

Comment

• Has anyone had a chance to test with E series APUs?

Comment

• Yes. twriter Thanks for getting this code out. You guys have done a fantastic job. If you guys keep up the good work it won't be long until we have all the features a desktop gpu driver should have.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisr View Post
            OK, there must be a DRM-related compromise somewhere in here. Does this mean that the HDMI connector will not and cannot initiate HDCP with this driver?
            There's no support for commonly used DRM / content protection techniques. So yes, no HDCP.

Tim

Comment

• @ brosis

Sure it is true that in many cases the OSS radeon drivers still underperform. However it is adequate to play every single game I throw at it at my monitors top resolution. If every game is playable at maximum resolution then what is the problem? I have a 4200 integrated GPU which I use primarily for watching movies and tv shows. And a 6850 discrete gpu which I use primarily for gaming. The 6850 using the OSS driver is awesome and does everything I want it to do.

Again if it does everything that it could do at a reasonable framerate then what problem is there?

Comment

• Originally posted by GDJacobs View Post
                Has anyone had a chance to test with E series APUs?
                We've tested internally on the equivalent embedded (non-consumer) parts so E series should work fine.

Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by twriter View Post
                  There's no support for commonly used DRM / content protection techniques. So yes, no HDCP.

Tim
                  This may be the wrong question to ask, but for example my tv is HDCP, is it possible to disable HDCP (from the tv) so that this driver could be used? (Or is HDCP a requirement of HDMI?)

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    @ brosis

Sure it is true that in many cases the OSS radeon drivers still underperform. However it is adequate to play every single game I throw at it at my monitors top resolution. If every game is playable at maximum resolution then what is the problem? I have a 4200 integrated GPU which I use primarily for watching movies and tv shows. And a 6850 discrete gpu which I use primarily for gaming. The 6850 using the OSS driver is awesome and does everything I want it to do.

Again if it does everything that it could do at a reasonable framerate then what problem is there?
                    i think the same but for some ppl winning benchmarks is more important and in that sense even if the OSS driver can output 60FPS it will suck cuz windows can push 90FPS making it unbearable, why? beats me

on the other hand APU needs some love and that is true

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      This may be the wrong question to ask, but for example my tv is HDCP, is it possible to disable HDCP (from the tv) so that this driver could be used? (Or is HDCP a requirement of HDMI?)
                      I don't think HDCP has to be enabled in order to use HDMI (although I believe the *ability* to accept an HDCP-encrypted signal is an HDMI requirement).

We did run across a few displays back in the early days of HDCP which would only work if HDCP was enabled, but I haven't heard of that happening recently. Treat this as low quality information though, I'm just saying "I didn't hear anything like that in the hallway and usually I would hear about it if it was happening".

On the other hand now that I've moved down to the 3rd floor with the rest of the HSA team I don't hear anything except when Tim stops by
                      Last edited by bridgman; 03 April 2013, 01:10 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X