No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news from AMD in last one year. Would somebody please make a wild guess "when users (popular Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSuse) wil be enjoying UVD1/2/3 on their desktops"? I'm too excited.

Comment

Now I'm SO happy I ordered a HD7850 last week!

Michael: when are you going to benchmark the SHIT out of this new bad boy? :P

Comment

Xorg Wiki Radeon Feature Matrix

FTA:
        Update: The code just arrived! There's also the Mesa patches!
        So who is going to update the Xorg wiki RadeonFeature page? http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

The Feature Matrix for Free Radeon Drivers currently still says that the feature "Video Decode (XvMC/VDPAU/VA-API) on UVD" is red "ToDo" status. Surely it is "WIP" now

Comment

I wonder when those blobs will be liberated

Surely (once UVD1 is released) for old UVD1 and end of life products it can be liberated easily!
          Last edited by oliver; 03 April 2013, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
            FTA:

So who is going to update the Xorg wiki RadeonFeature page? http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

The Feature Matrix for Free Radeon Drivers currently still says that the feature "Video Decode (XvMC/VDPAU/VA-API) on UVD" is red "ToDo" status. Surely it is "WIP" now
            Thx for the reminder, changing the page right now. Edit: Ok not changing this, cause I can't remember my password for it (and the register server seems to be down).

RS780 and RS880 are both UVD2, but very early implementations (some features missing, allot of hardware bugs that needs workarounds, etc...), I have an RS880 based laptop and I'm still working on supporting those (I already have the firmware is booting, but the have a crepy problem with the memory controller I can't seem to fix).

Christian.
            Last edited by Deathsimple; 03 April 2013, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by calim View Post
              This should read "AMD Releases UVD Support For (Partially) Open Source Driver" instead, since likely 90% (the exciting part; if it's anything like on NV) of the UVD code is pre-compiled in the blob firmware ...
              (the percentage may be open for debate)
              Firmware is only something that communicates with the hardware, states what it can do, etc. Noone is hurt if it's closed source.

Also, nouveau doesn't need firmware for some cards.

Comment

I can't believe it. I'm crying.

Comment

Finally!

Some questions:
                  - can subtitles be used with the video accel? What about ASS subtitles, in addition to normal ones?
                  - is the new firmware compatible with old DRM? Ie, can the uvd-supporting firmware be shipped without any regression when run on older kernel+mesa?
                  - it appears that on Windows, using UVD forces a certain core clock*. Does this limitation also apply on linux?

* http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33989470

Comment

This is going to be in mesa 9.2 or we are going to get it as an update to 9.1.x??

Thanks to all at AMD, twriter and the team especially. And to bridgman that gets all the complains.

Comment

Is the support for UVD1 also in progress?

Comment

Working...
                      X