AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post
    Modern video codecs are integer-based and no matter how decoding is done, the result is exactly the same, bit for bit. There is no quality difference.
    It is true that e.g. H.264 decoding is specified to be bit-exact, so any compliant decoder will produce the exact same output as the reference decoder. But some implementations choose to forego compliance for speed.

Comment

Quick question: is this going to make my 4200 mobile card run any faster? Because Unity and Gnome3 still run really slow.
      Last edited by teahopper; 03 April 2013, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by teahopper View Post
        Quick question: is this going to make my 4200 mobile card run any faster? Because Unity and Gnome3 still run really slow.
        NO. Only more memory or software tweaks/improvements can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          It is true that e.g. H.264 decoding is specified to be bit-exact, so any compliant decoder will produce the exact same output as the reference decoder. But some implementations choose to forego compliance for speed.
          Specifications (for H.264/VP8/VC-1/etc) say that decoding MUST be bit-exact. If your implementation chooses to ignore that, it's not a compliant decoder. Of course you can do whatever the hell you want if you ignore specifications, but you can't call it a decoder for a particular codec.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            Specifications (for H.264/VP8/VC-1/etc) say that decoding MUST be bit-exact. If your implementation chooses to ignore that, it's not a compliant decoder. Of course you can do whatever the hell you want if you ignore specifications, but you can't call it a decoder for a particular codec.
            Checking if the decoders are compliant is something that could be important as well, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
              We still don't have complete Bluray support, so I'm not seeing a HTPC in my living room befor a long, long time.

Anyway it's a very good news to read for (at least partial) open source !
              It will decode bluray JUST FINE. It just won't decode bluray ***3D*** (which is a retarded fad to begin with).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                It will decode bluray JUST FINE.
                From what I know it either needs to be unencrypted one or user needs to get the AACS keys for the disk first if it is encrypted. Not really plug & play method

Comment

Enough people support AMD

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Not quite. Have you seem Anandtech's recent review on Haswell's GT2 and GT3 gpu cores? They can reportedly comfortably compete with an Nvidia 650M. With graphics power and nearly full FOSS support, who would choose an AMD setup over an Intel one for HTPCs?
                  I, for one, choose to use AMD based systems. If it does what I need it to do, why not use AMD kit? Also, Intel needs competiton to keep them honest and pushing innovation.

Comment

One more reason to support AMD and buy AMD graphic cards instead of Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
                      From what I know it either needs to be unencrypted one or user needs to get the AACS keys for the disk first if it is encrypted. Not really plug & play method
                      That stuff has nothing at all to do with hardware video decoding. At least not on this platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X