Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Hybrid View

Default AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Phoronix: AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Within the next few hours AMD will be publishing open-source driver code that exposes their Unified Video Decoder (UVD) engine on modern Radeon HD graphics cards. This will finally allow open-source graphics drivers to take advantage of hardware-accelerated video decoding. Read more details in this Phoronix exclusive.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18602

Talking Boggle....

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Within the next few hours AMD will be publishing open-source driver code that exposes their Unified Video Decoder (UVD) engine on modern Radeon HD graphics cards.
    If you'd published this a day (or two) earlier, I simply wouldn't have believed it...!

OK, there must be a DRM-related compromise somewhere in here. Does this mean that the HDMI connector will not and cannot initiate HDCP with this driver? I would consider that fair...

But anyway, thanks AMD!
    Last edited by chrisr; 04-02-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    OK, there must be a DRM-related compromise somewhere in here. Does this mean that the HDMI connector will not and cannot initiate HDCP with this driver?
    There's no support for commonly used DRM / content protection techniques. So yes, no HDCP.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by twriter View Post
    There's no support for commonly used DRM / content protection techniques. So yes, no HDCP.

Tim
    This may be the wrong question to ask, but for example my tv is HDCP, is it possible to disable HDCP (from the tv) so that this driver could be used? (Or is HDCP a requirement of HDMI?)

Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    This may be the wrong question to ask, but for example my tv is HDCP, is it possible to disable HDCP (from the tv) so that this driver could be used? (Or is HDCP a requirement of HDMI?)
    I don't think HDCP has to be enabled in order to use HDMI (although I believe the *ability* to accept an HDCP-encrypted signal is an HDMI requirement).

We did run across a few displays back in the early days of HDCP which would only work if HDCP was enabled, but I haven't heard of that happening recently. Treat this as low quality information though, I'm just saying "I didn't hear anything like that in the hallway and usually I would hear about it if it was happening".

On the other hand now that I've moved down to the 3rd floor with the rest of the HSA team I don't hear anything except when Tim stops by
    Last edited by bridgman; 04-03-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't think HDCP has to be enabled in order to use HDMI (although I believe the *ability* to accept an HDCP-encrypted signal is an HDMI requirement).

We did run across a few displays back in the early days of HDCP which would only work if HDCP was enabled, but I haven't heard of that happening recently. Treat this as low quality information though, I'm just saying "I didn't hear anything like that in the hallway and usually I would hear about it if something like that was happening"...
    OK, Thanks for that. The TV I use has both HDMI and DVI so even if HDMI that I am currently using doesnt work out, I can easily switch to DVI. I just need to fork up the cash for a long enough DVI cable if that turns out to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    Your TV supports HDCP, but it should also operate without an encrypted connection. Otherwise, how would you hook up an older HDMI-based DVD player (or anything with component/composite cables)? As a general rule, TVs support HDCP, but they don't require it in most cases. Usually it's the device actually producing/playing the content that would refuse to produce output if HDCP isn't required (such as a Bluray player).

In the case of a HTPC with a radeon hooked up to a TV, HDCP is unsupported, so all of the display output is sent from your video card to the TV through an unencrypted connection. As long as you're not trying to play back encrypted Bluray discs with software that requires the encryption, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    Your TV supports HDCP, but it should also operate without an encrypted connection. Otherwise, how would you hook up an older HDMI-based DVD player (or anything with component/composite cables)? As a general rule, TVs support HDCP, but they don't require it in most cases. Usually it's the device actually producing/playing the content that would refuse to produce output if HDCP isn't required (such as a Bluray player).

In the case of a HTPC with a radeon hooked up to a TV, HDCP is unsupported, so all of the display output is sent from your video card to the TV through an unencrypted connection. As long as you're not trying to play back encrypted Bluray discs with software that requires the encryption, you'll be fine.
    Oh OK, I think I understand now. So it is the player that will dictate whether or not the content requires HDCP. Which if the content is decrypted then even that requirement could be removed.

Great news, but no RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] support ? I can live without video acceleration because most processors can handle video decoding these days, but I cannot live without proper power management and OpenCL support. I don't even care about 3D games, but please AMD consider OpenCL... because even though your processors are not the best nowadays your graphics cards are way better than those from Nvidia for GPGPU. I would really love to buy a 7990 if it had proper OpenCL support.

I am an nvidia user, but I can only say, good job amd , this is a great news for the opensource world