The Wayland/Weston Fork Is Now "Banned"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message to Michael Larabel

<continued from last email>Furthermore, I know good and well what anyone puts on their site is their business. What I will not be posting on my site, is any of your works here as the Jerry Springer of Linux.</end continued from last email>

Consider this my friendly roasting of you Michael Larabel, for your great works. You thought my excitement was fake, but the joke, is on you. I gave you a chance to respond through email even offering you to join me on IRC but you do not readily use IRC to communicate it seems, as I have not noticed you idling in the IRC channel, and you did not reply to my exciting emails. I would have told you more, but didn't want to blow up your cell phone *too* much.

Cheers,

Scott Moreau
    Last edited by soreau; 03 April 2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

This guy seems to be awfully full of himself. Writing about yourself in the third person and praising your brilliance like that is a red flag and makes me want to do that one rude hand gesture that involves gripping an invisible thing and stroking it. You know the one.

Comment

Re: The Wayland/Weston Fork Is Now &quot;Banned&quot;

We could play the endless "what if" -game about whether or not Michael should or should not have posted the original news about the fork or the four page article "Why Wayland & Weston Were Forked" written by Scott Moreau. But since he did, I think the following news posts were in order. They clarified the situation a lot (and so did the comments on the news/articles). And I also think that the decision not to post further new or articles was also right.

Depression or in the matter of fact any other psychiatric disorder are not to be taken lightly. And like a previous poster said, a person who is afflicted by one such disorder often don't realize it nor do they seek actively help (professional or otherwise). Whether Moreau has one: I don't know. I'm not a professional nor do I think any professional would be comfortable making such diagnose without seeing the patient in person first. Generally speaking, to anyone contemplating whether or not they have a psychiatric disorder or not: don't. Seek professional advise about it. It won't hurt you even if it turns out you don't have one.

Comment

This arcticle is not good

I signed up because for the first time i felt like i had to say something about what i read here.

Mike you're being immature about this, while i completely understand where you're coming from, consider the fact that poor Scott might just have some mental problems, i'm guessing he may be autistic or something along those lines.

He may not be as much of a genius as he claims to be, but at least i think the poor guy has been working hard on his projects, and loves them. The good thing is that those projects are open-sourced and free right? meaning everyone can benefit.

In the future if you end up in similar situations please try to understand that there are some people who have problems, and in those cases instead of speaking down to them you should ignore them completely. If you find that you have to say something keep it on a level where you are not insulting anyone.

Publishing emails someone sent you in private is much worse for your reputation than his no matter what he wrote in belief that only you would read them. That's my take on this.

It would've been enough to know that there will be no Northfield/Norwood fork for wayland because its developer was being rude and immature, you didn't have to be rude and point fingers and putting him down, you didn't even have to name him! this makes you just as bad as him. The worst part is that you did it publically on a news website instead of just responding to him in an e-mail if you really had to tell him that he's being childish as all hell.

-You don't have to be good with communicating with others to be an excellent programmer- <- This is reality.Next time think of these things instead of getting mad.All you did was fuel the guys emotions whatever they were, which can lead to serious things such as termination of his project or worse, his own life. (But a guy that speaks that highly of him self probably wouldn't commit suicide so i don't worry.)
          Last edited by rabcor; 03 April 2013, 07:03 AM.

Comment

It's a fairly common story in the tech world

Self taught.
            Self important.
            Self righteous.
            Self destructive.

The End.

(Now can we please stop making excuses for people with "issues?" )

Comment

Originally posted by Votre View Post
              Self taught.
              Self important.
              Self righteous.
              Self destructive.

The End.

(Now can we please stop making excuses for people with "issues?" )
              Well, many quite good people is self taught. There's a difference between that and the possible "issues" you are suggesting, official studies doesn't mean having a proper professional too (self disciplined, proper development of social skills, robust mentality, creative).

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                This. Maturity on dealing with situtions and people is a rare thing on the internet. Something Michael's post shows that he lacks. Personal emails and communication, unless otherwise stated by the sending and receiving client, should as always remain private. Its embarassing for Michael, a supposed journalist, to make this open to everyone. A clear violation of journalistic rigor and ethics.
                +1

I'm a daily Phoronix reader and lover, and I respect Michael. I actually kind of like how he is different from other journalists. But this was a huge mistake. If Michael doesn't like the guy or his attitude, he should have just ignored him. Even if Scott deserved some public emberassment, news sites just don't do that!

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
                  +1

I'm a daily Phoronix reader and lover, and I respect Michael. I actually kind of like how he is different from other journalists. But this was a huge mistake. If Michael doesn't like the guy or his attitude, he should have just ignored him. Even if Scott deserved some public emberassment, news sites just don't do that!
                  +1

I agree whole heartedly.

Comment

posting because i want to show my support for some comments made by others that express my sentiments exactly:
                    +1 @ dh04000 (quoted post on this page)
                    +1 @ ultimA (this page)
                    +1 @ rabcor (prev page)

@michael, you're running a business, if you want people to take you and your site seriously you can't pull this kind of shit. i don't give a fuck what this guy did, you're supposed to be the "professional" here. this whole situation reflects far worse on you. i really hope this and the last article on the matter are pulled from the site, write a new (mature) one in its place if you must.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                      Why aren't there more people like you on the internet?
                      I noted the same thing. About his observation, and yours. It's far to easy to become irrational for whatever reason when parking your date in front of a PC. It's almost as if it artificially inflates a persons ego, sensibilities or emotions beyond reason. Hell, he could even be a normal guy when he's not gawking at a PC. I know I'm quite often like that....I become zombie like and incapable of sustaining a simple conversation.
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X