Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wayland/Weston Fork Is Now "Banned"

Hybrid View

Default The Wayland/Weston Fork Is Now "Banned"

Phoronix: The Wayland/Weston Fork Is Now "Banned"

It's now becoming quite easy to understand why the developer of the Northfield/Norwood fork of Wayland was ejected from the Wayland development community and banned from development communication channels...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MTM

Default juicy tidbits

At least now a Google search for "Scott Moreau" will yield some more "juicy tidbits" for potential employers. The internet is forever.

Next week, on the young and the restless...........

Last time I checked you were called Michael, not Mike.

Forget him.

Good choice. Don't forget to update your spam filter if you didn't do so already
    Edit: @qlum: one troll can do a shitload of damage. I think that's essentially whats going on here. Apart from this little twerp I didn't really hear anything bad from the Wayland mailing list yet in the news at least.

Michael, you didn't need to publish this and the previous articles. That just made everyone pissed off. I would leave it alone without any coverage of the private side on the Phoronix, I would just ignore kickback offers and other messages. Scott just got crazy after being kicked off from the Wayland project and I bet your publication of his emails made him go even crazier...

Quote Originally Posted by qlum View Post
    If this is how it goes around wayland with people flaming and getting banned I kind of get why Ubuntu made their own display server instead. Maybe they saw things not running smoothly and made their own in fear of it all falling apart.
    Whoa, talk about grasping, Wayland would be 'falling apart' because someone (who obviously in light of recent information) is trying to cause commotion on the mailing list? Something which the Wayland developers can't control in any way other than finally banning said person? Is this the first project mailing list you've encountered? This happens, the rest of the developers will simply start ignoring guys like this once it's clear they have no intention other than to cause commotion, easily identified by their technical arguments holding no water.

Only reason this has made any ripples is that as always Michael will try to sensationalize any conflict in the open source sphere, thus fanning the flames if possible while providing massive 'coverage' .

Phoronix is the equivalent of a tabloid in my opinion, practically everything is exaggerated and objectivity is pushed aside in order to further Micheal's personal agendas.

There are two bright spots though, one is that Michael can't be blamed for being lazy, he reports on practically everything by keeping his ear on the ground (subscribing to every mailing list in existence I gather) and is therefore often extremely quick with reporting on new open source developments, the second is that for the cesspool it generally is, the Phoronix forum also has alot of posters who are working on interesting and influental open source projects and provides great input.

As for this whole debacle, once Phoronix stops reporting on it there won't be anyone covering 'northfield' and as such it will fade into obscurity as by all accounts it's reasons for existing seems to have been nothing but hot air. I see nothing wrong with forks though, it's part of gives open source a 'survival of the fittest' mentality which is such an important part of it's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by qlum View Post
    If this is how it goes around wayland with people flaming and getting banned I kind of get why Ubuntu made their own display server instead. Maybe they saw things not running smoothly and made their own in fear of it all falling apart.
    It was just one crazy dude being a douche in the mailing list and the irc, and then making a rage-fork. This doesn't effect the wayland project in the slightest and certainly does not mean the wayland project is in any way poorly managed or falling apart. This guy was acting out and got banned for it by the wayland developers, which was the right course of action. Same thing would happen if some dude went crazy on a canonical mailing list. One idiot does not reflect the project as a whole. This scott fellow is simply adept at creating drama, none of this has any realistic effect on wayland.

The only reason this even got any attention at all was sites like phoronix feeding the flames.

Default First Google Hit

Quote Originally Posted by hubick View Post
    At least now a Google search for "Scott Moreau" will yield some more "juicy tidbits" for potential employers. The internet is forever.
    Why not try the more distinguishing 'soreau' name?

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: The Wayland/Weston Fork Is Now "Banned"

It's now becoming quite easy to understand why the developer of the Northfield/Norwood fork of Wayland was ejected from the Wayland development community and banned from development communication channels...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MTM
    Phoronix seems to attract nutjobs. I recall the "Gnome Survey" guy, who got banned from the mailing lists of various open source projects for trolling and nagging.