Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
OK, so you're saying "standard" should be defined as "minimum under any and all conditions, even with degraded cooling and running a synthetic stress test" rather than "normal/usual/whatever" ? That would mean you basically have minimum** and maximum clocks with no indication of where the processsor normally runs, which seems like a big step backwards to me.

Server parts (GPU and CPU) do tend to have more conservative specs than client parts (for all vendors AFAICS), and I believe operation under sustained workloads is part of the reason for that.

** I know "minimum" isn't quite the right word here either because the processor can also be put into lower power states but it's tough even finding the right words given how aggressively modern hardware manages its own clocks.
These tests were done with new systems, no degraded cooling, ... . What I am saying is that a CPU that is marketed as 3.8GHz CPU should be able to sustain that speed with any workload, of course under default conditions (boxed cooler, standard case without blocked airflow, normal room temperatures, ...). If the CPU is not able to do that than there is a problem, either with AMD's labeling or with the dimensioning of AMD's boxed cooler. In both cases the fault lies definitely on AMD's side and can only be fixed by AMD.