Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.04 To Axe The Wubi Windows Installer

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 To Axe The Wubi Windows Installer

One of the less popular ways to use Ubuntu Linux has been through the "Wubi" Windows-based installer that places Ubuntu within a Windows installation just as you would any other application. However, Canonical is planning to remove Wubi from Ubuntu 13.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

I myself don't care about WUBI I just use regular installations. The biggest gripe I have is having to manually change the boot order in the config file. I wish there was a different way of doing this with GRUB.

Comment

Wubi was popular in a specific population : people used to Windows since they were born, with curiosity but not willing to break the familly's computer.
      Wubi was a great initiative for these people and without it they will possibly only try live-cd andnever switch to linux...

Comment

Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
        Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

I myself don't care about WUBI I just use regular installations. The biggest gripe I have is having to manually change the boot order in the config file. I wish there was a different way of doing this with GRUB.
        Well, I do think that they should have put more development into Wubi but I'd rather have it left out then have it ship full of bugs.
        Besides, they said that it would be for this release, there was nothing said about it being left out of future releases so there might be a chance it'll make it back in 13.10.

Comment

Well, maybe those people can try Linux using a livecd or from a pendrive.

When they begin to feel comfortable, they can install to the harddisk.

Using and old harddisk is also an option, but pendrives are cheap now.

Comment

I didn't use wubi. When a newer version of ubuntu released i can use livdcd to give it a try and decide whether to upgrade or not. In most cases what i really need is a tool or a method to easily and safely install windows within ubuntu(just like apple's bootcamp). Currently i use vbox to install windows7 but its performance is relatively poor.

Comment

The bugs where what kept med from working om the USB feature, i rathere expected them to drop it. If some one needs wubi they can stick with 12.04 for the next 4 years, besides it only works on pre win8 systems so bleeding edge isnt Required.

Comment

Good news

I feel this is good news, if you want the full experience of an OS you need to do a regular Install. And to be quite frank of in my views, multiple Operating Systems are not necessary anymore unless you have some kind of addiction in which you feel like you absolutely must use a particular OS; in which case I recommend treating your addiction, which is really fear of of losing something which you don't really need.

A lot of people complain about Office for example, yet if you started out using something like Open Office for example, you wouldn't have that 'hook' that makes you feel like you have no other options. I had those hooks buried deep in me with Games, for 15 years I was hooked. Playing around with different flavors of Linux for many years, I couldn't find anything I could really replace Windows with, only in 2012 with Xubuntu was I able to finally kick my addiction.

I was a pretty hardcore Windows users, and I said a lot of bad things about Linux in those times. It just all boils down to fear of change and hooks put in proprietary Operating Systems, designed to keep you addicted. Well I learned my lesson after many years and I don't care what happens, I'm not going back. Honestly I think Wubi was a terrible way to introduce people to Linux, a Live CD was much better, even for me.

Comment

Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
                  Wubi was popular in a specific population : people used to Windows since they were born, with curiosity but not willing to break the familly's computer.
                  Wubi was a great initiative for these people and without it they will possibly only try live-cd andnever switch to linux...
                  There is no reason in this day and age to use WUBI. I used something like it way, way back. It was called WinLinux. It pretty much did what WUBI does today on Win 95 /98 (maybe Me?). Buuuut, today we have virtual machines, powerful computers and good disk imaging software that can be obtained at no cost (like the free version of Macrium Reflect).

If you are the one that is helping friends and family install Ubuntu, than do it properly for God's sake.

Comment

It was a helpfull option for people with laptops where all 4 primery MBR partitions where used by Windows an it's recovery tools. And a way to test out the propritery graphics drivers without comitting.

Comment

Working...
                    X