Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 17, fglrx and XvBA (can't compile)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 17, fglrx and XvBA (can't compile)

Hello,

I'm trying to enable hardware acceleration on my box and I get stuck at compiling libva-xvba-driver :\

Here's the error I get :

?checking for XvBA? no
    configure: error: you need XvBA to build this package
    error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.ndLi4Y (%build)?

I have downloaded xvba-sdk-0.74-404001.tar.gz and installed it following the included README, but still no luck :\

My spec :
    - Fedora 17 (32bit)
    - kernel 3.8.4-102.fc17.i686.PAE
    - amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    - Radeon HD 5770 series

Any ideas maybe? Many thanks in advance.

There is a header file that is in the wrong place (at least on Debian).

/usr/include/amdxvba.h

should be in

/usr/include/amd/amdxvba.h

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
      There is a header file that is in the wrong place (at least on Debian).

/usr/include/amdxvba.h

should be in

/usr/include/amd/amdxvba.h
      Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem for me :\ Any ideas how to debug this further?

Greetings from Slovenia.

Comment

Not really. I hit this issue when i compiled FernetMenta's xbmc with native xvba support. I had to move that header file to the /amd/ directory. I dont remember anything else + i did it on Debian so there might be different issues, but since you use the AMD installer it should have everything bundled in and the problems are from misplacing of certain files.

Other than that, libva+xvba is crap. The only program that uses real Xvba right now, is XBMC's FernetMenta branch (may be other implementations, but this works surely).

I have compiled it and i can tell you its a world difference from libva both in performance and quality (its not as good as VDPAU B-C, but for my needs works perfectly). Libva-xvba chokes on many files + uses more CPU whereas native xvba uses almost no CPU for decoding and decodes almost all files.

Comment

Well I would just like to play HD movies in VLC player under Linux without problems just as I can do I Windows - that's all I really didn't know that is soooo hard to enable hardware acceleration in Linux...

Comment

Libva+xvba/vdpau comes OOTB on most distros. Maybe not Fedora?. Just its not that good as native Xvba or VDPAU (it uses these as backends, but doesnt support their full feature set).

XBMC is one of the few media players that supports just about every HW decode under Linux, vaapi (Intel), libva (VDPAU/Xvba backend - not really working nor needed), VDPAU (native nvidia), Xvba (native AMD - this is in experimental stage but nonetheless works).

Comment

Hi,

You can follow this guide : http://blog.canyonbliss.net/fedora-17-fglrx-and-xvba/

++

Kitof

Comment

Originally posted by Kitof View Post
                Hi,

You can follow this guide : http://blog.canyonbliss.net/fedora-17-fglrx-and-xvba/

++

Kitof
                I have followed this blog, but as you see at the end of comments I can't compile it :\

Comment

Working...
                X