Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for BSD Users :Why do you use Bsd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for BSD Users :Why do you use Bsd?

This is not meant as trolling.

Im just curious to see why yours prefers to use BSD , and what you are using it for.

Thanks for your time

I cut my open-source teeth on BSD, mainly because I had a terrifyingly low-spec PC (pentium 1, 64MB RAM) when new PCs were starting to come with dual-core processors. OpenBSD had very low system requirements and I liked the stance they took on making sure everything was correct. An operating system whose primary focus is on correctness and security sounds pretty good to me!

I found the community to be no-nonsense and having read Absolute OpenBSD by Michael W. Lucas I was pretty clued up and could make it dance and sing as I pleased. As time went on (and I got new PC hardware!) I found I was needing programs that didn't run on BSD so I often dual-booted with Windows. I disliked Windows so ended up triple-booting Windows for games, Linux for a mix of general use and work, and OpenBSD or work.

After a while I just found myself using OpenBSD less and Linux more. I've still got an installation of FreeBSD, but I'm waiting for them to get the UEFI booting sorted before I put it on my laptop. Once that's sorted games and skype will be the only things keeping me on Linux.

I still have a better 'feel' for how BSD systems are laid out, and I've never had a problem upgrading an OpenBSD/FreeBSD system. I've not often had problems upgrading Ubuntu, but it's been often enough that an upgrade has failed that I always feel a bit nervous about it.

Comment

BSD luser says

Cause I'm an mentally retarded and love BDSM. If I where not mentally retarded and could think properly, I'll be using linux. I also love being gay anal raped by M$ and apple cause I'm a proprietary whore.

I also very slow crap cause it makes me horny and also compiling from ports cause i love the BDSM of waiting 1 week to compile a program I want to use immediately. I hate download and instant run package manager cause there associate with linux and I am retard who should not be allowed to reproduce.

I also love the fact that there are no drivers for hardware and I cant play games or watch movies cause I'm masochist and really love BDSM and bending over for M$ and apple.
      Last edited by killing BSD; 31 March 2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
        I cut my open-source teeth on BSD, mainly because I had a terrifyingly low-spec PC (pentium 1, 64MB RAM) when new PCs were starting to come with dual-core processors. OpenBSD had very low system requirements and I liked the stance they took on making sure everything was correct. An operating system whose primary focus is on correctness and security sounds pretty good to me!
        BULLSHIT, Linux works better on low-spec hardware. BSD hangs.

I found the community to be no-nonsense and having read Absolute OpenBSD by Michael W. Lucas I was pretty clued up and could make it dance and sing as I pleased.
        What community? a few luser and shitty devs. what pile of fuck

After a while I just found myself using OpenBSD less and Linux more.
        That's right cause Linux is better and even you know it.

I've still got an installation of FreeBSD, but I'm waiting for them to get the UEFI booting sorted before I put it on my laptop. Once that's sorted games and skype will be the only things keeping me on Linux.
        Also, I fact that BSD wont work at all will keep you on linux

I still have a better 'feel' for how BSD systems are laid out, and I've never had a problem upgrading an OpenBSD/FreeBSD system. I've not often had problems upgrading Ubuntu, but it's been often enough that an upgrade has failed that I always feel a bit nervous about it.
        Yeah stop talking shit and STFU. Everyone knows that Linux upgrades much better that BSD.

Upgrading BSD? Upgrade to unbootable
        Last edited by killing BSD; 31 March 2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Ah, the moron is back, again talking about software that is better than everything he has ever written and licenses he don't even understand the basics of, as he has shown in his last incarnation as troll. And still without the ability to spellcheck and check his dumb posts for correct grammar.

Comment

Because Intel "support" for some chipsets really sucked: until a few months ago, the more Intel support an OS had the worse i845 graphics were. Meanwhile, BSDs and a few very old Linux distros still had working X acceleration.
            And because I was curious, and wondered how similar the CLI was.
            (Note: this was NetBSD 5.1, ~ a couple years ago, on a Dell PIII from 2000, which I had used as a fallback when I lost a laptop. I use Linux as my main OS, and presently am not desirous to switch that...)
            For what it's worth, it was noticeably more responsive than Linux, but that could have been the new hdd or the extreme paucity of background services vs the Linux distros I used:
            Puppy or sometimes *buntu vs stock NetBSD with 3 ttys, plus X starting mwm.
            Last edited by Ibidem; 02 April 2013, 01:21 AM.

Comment

There's really no good reason to use any of the BSDs. For every feature offered by BSD, Linux always has better, adequate and more modern alternatives. Example:

FreeBSD Jails: Linux Vservers,LXC and OpenVZ. Also, Full Visualization is much more useful
              FreeBSD ZFS: Linux BTRFS and ZFS
              OpenBSD PF: Linux IPTABLES
              BSD init: Linux SysV and systemd
              etc.

Only nutcases, GPL-haters and Religious OS (BSD) zealots use BSD just to show of. And even then BSD is not their main OS as one can only do very little with it (can't watch youtube etc.). They would mainly use Mac OS X and claim that it's FreeBSD is well which we all know is not.

These people are unreasonable and it's not worthless asking them questions and you'll receive only crap
              Last edited by lesterchester; 02 April 2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lesterchester View Post
                There's really no good reason to use any of the BSDs. For every feature offered by BSD, Linux always has better, adequate and more modern alternatives. Example:

FreeBSD Jails: Linux Vservers,LXC and OpenVZ. Also, Full Visualization is much more useful
                FreeBSD ZFS: Linux BTRFS and ZFS
                OpenBSD PF: Linux IPTABLES
                BSD init: Linux SysV and systemd
                The thing is, there are benefits to using BSD over Linux. For example, you get all of those features out of the box, in Linux you don't with the exception of IPTables (which is not better than PF, as you have incorrectly stated) and the init system.
                Also, BTRFS has NO support at this time for services similar to RAID-Z*, and probably won't for a while yet.

These people are unreasonable and it's not worthless asking them questions and you'll receive only crap
                And it's good to see that people approach this with an open mind, without bias, and at least an ounce of maturity.
                Sadly, you have none of these qualities.

Comment

I got sick of using tiny embedded wifi routers at the end of my home network, so I decided to put an old PC there instead. I heard good things about using freebsd for this task, and all the trolling posts here made me really want to try it. So far, I have had no reason to look back. everything runs flawlessly. no random lockups like I had before on openwrt. I have a transparent squid proxy running speeding up http traffic a lot. It's nice. All thanks to whatever the name of the troll was at the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X