Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Isn't Too Much Progress On Unigine Linux Titles

Phoronix: There Isn't Too Much Progress On Unigine Linux Titles

For those that have followed Phoronix over the years know that I am a big supporter of the Unigine game/3D engine. The engine delivers absolutely beautiful graphics and there is first-rate Linux support. The developers at Unigine Corp are very Linux-friendly. Unfortunately, games and other software based upon Unigine aren't too quick to come to the Linux gaming scene...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Dilogus: The Windows of War"
    LOL, it's "Winds of War", not Windows! I hope Microsoft hasn't infiltrated that fantasy universe yet!

Comment

Dilogus, eh. I remember reading their blog and getting excited about this game
      waaay before Steam for Linux was even announced, and even donated to it
      I think. Then, slowly, their blog started to feature less and less info about the
      game and more posts talked about their other, Windows-only title "inMomentum",
      and now I think the last thing that was heard about Dilogus might be over a year old.

Comment

Relics of Annoranth is a Unigine engine based game, which will probably start on kickstarter this month or so: https://forum.annorath-game.com/inde...pic,190.0.html

But I am not too optimistic that this game will be an success. Their current game content videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/RelicsOfAnnorath

Looks like they lack developers quite bad. I mean the graphics and content is great, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be much progress. Not even enough developers to have a proper corporation website (https://portal.quantum-bytes.com/).
        Last edited by Fenrin; 31 March 2013, 04:57 PM.

Comment

There's a great Unigine powered game that's available for Linux, too. It's still alpha so don't expect much, but what it shows is so amazing that my friends and me can't stop playing: Kerbal Space Program. It's even on Steam (early access) since a short time.

Comment

I don't know what the licensing looks like now but I know a few years ago they use to post the cost on the site. When I looking at game engines I saw what the indie developer cost was and it was way out of my price range. If the prices are still the same you are most likely only going to end up with big studios using it for games. Most developers will probably look at Unity3D just because of the cost benefit when working in a small team. I would still love to use the engine, especially since I've already wasted money on other engines that didn't live up to the hype. Now I'm doing it all from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
              There's a great Unigine powered game that's available for Linux, too. It's still alpha so don't expect much, but what it shows is so amazing that my friends and me can't stop playing: Kerbal Space Program. It's even on Steam (early access) since a short time.

haha almost thought you are serious that this game is Unigine engine based But this must be a first April joke.

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/about.php

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
                I don't know what the licensing looks like now but I know a few years ago they use to post the cost on the site. When I looking at game engines I saw what the indie developer cost was and it was way out of my price range. If the prices are still the same you are most likely only going to end up with big studios using it for games. Most developers will probably look at Unity3D just because of the cost benefit when working in a small team. I would still love to use the engine, especially since I've already wasted money on other engines that didn't live up to the hype. Now I'm doing it all from scratch.
                Not even bigger studios care. Unreal4 is looking even more impressive, more affordable, and existing huge swaths of U3 experienced people can likely get to work easier with it than Unigine. Also, still, what are the _tools_ like in Unigine? Who knows.

One of the absolute least important things is how "visually impressive" the engine is. You can make any crappy engine visually impressive with a few experienced graphics devs, some middleware, and a ton of talented artists (which is where most of the visual appeal comes from).

And if you really care about some particular feature or look, you're probably doing it all in-house anyway. The last thing a studio on a tight deadline needs is to be held at whatever pace upstream devs work at. It's easier to get all the basics in on your own then have 100% control than it is to buy all the basics premade and hope you can do what you need with provided source or convince upstream to prioritize your requests.

I would at this point consisder the market "owned" with Unreal at the top-end and Unity at the bottom-end, with a few niche engines for niche markets (MMO-oriented engines that include sophisticated server and communication components and tools, for example). There's little room for a new engine, especially once that has no particular niche or killer feature.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  Not even bigger studios care. Unreal4 is looking even more impressive, more affordable, and existing huge swaths of U3 experienced people can likely get to work easier with it than Unigine. Also, still, what are the _tools_ like in Unigine? Who knows.

One of the absolute least important things is how "visually impressive" the engine is. You can make any crappy engine visually impressive with a few experienced graphics devs, some middleware, and a ton of talented artists (which is where most of the visual appeal comes from).

And if you really care about some particular feature or look, you're probably doing it all in-house anyway. The last thing a studio on a tight deadline needs is to be held at whatever pace upstream devs work at. It's easier to get all the basics in on your own then have 100% control than it is to buy all the basics premade and hope you can do what you need with provided source or convince upstream to prioritize your requests.

I would at this point consisder the market "owned" with Unreal at the top-end and Unity at the bottom-end, with a few niche engines for niche markets (MMO-oriented engines that include sophisticated server and communication components and tools, for example). There's little room for a new engine, especially once that has no particular niche or killer feature.
                  You can request an evaluation kit if you want to see what the tools are like. As for graphics, we know anything can look good with proper work. I think the thing Unigine has is 3.2+ core profile support. All the OGL engines I've looked at are still working 2.1, those with 3.0 support are compatibility profile. For me this is a breaking point since I don't want to build off of 2.1. (I really don't care about the argument of targeting older hardware either)

The reason I looked at Unigine is at the time it appeared that the UDK worked under Linux. What I hate about Unity is that you can build for Linux but you still have to do your development in Windows or Mac. I do all my work in Linux and would rather not have to use a different OS just to build a game for the platform I prefer to use.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    Unreal4 is looking even more impressive, more affordable, and existing huge swaths of U3 experienced people can likely get to work easier with it than Unigine. I would at this point consisder the market "owned" with Unreal at the top-end and Unity at the bottom-end, with a few niche engines for niche markets (MMO-oriented engines that include sophisticated server and communication components and tools, for example).
                    Unreal Engine 4, UE3 and Unreal Engine.

Comment

Working...
                    X