Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Releases Several New Linux Game Ports

Phoronix: Valve Releases Several New Linux Game Ports

For those hoping to do some gaming over Easter weekend, Valve has released five new games that have been ported to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, I have no clue about Half Life itself, but this list sounds a lot like just mods for HL. Not that it's bad, but if it really is the case, then the article title isn't quite correct.

Comment

Well, both yes and no. Blue Shift and Opposing Force are stand alone single player games that tell the Half-Life story from other perspectives.

Comment

This was basically a dump of the remaining GoldSrc titles I think, so now all that is left are the modern Source titles. I would really like to play Blue Shift and Opposing forces, though I really don't want to pay $5 a pop for such old titles. Going to have to hold out for a Half-Life franchise sale which they seem pretty stingy with lately. Last one I think was a flash sales I missed during the winter holiday sale. I've seen the L4D series go up for sale at least twice since the holidays and I think the Counter-Strike games have been up a few times as well, but other than a sale on the original Half-Life a week or two after the Linux release I haven't seen any of the other Half-Life titles on sale.

Comment

It really is about sending the message to the publishers: get *all* your steam games on linux.
          I think it's a great message (hello? id software? all your games apart from rage are already on linux... just put them on steam...).
          And revisiting cs and hl is pretty nice too!

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
            It really is about sending the message to the publishers: get *all* your steam games on linux.
            I think it's a great message (hello? id software? all your games apart from rage are already on linux... just put them on steam...).
            And revisiting cs and hl is pretty nice too!
            I agree completely. It not just ID either. There are a few game titles that have linux ports that are available on the windows client but not the linux client.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
              This was basically a dump of the remaining GoldSrc titles I think, so now all that is left are the modern Source titles. I would really like to play Blue Shift and Opposing forces, though I really don't want to pay $5 a pop for such old titles. Going to have to hold out for a Half-Life franchise sale which they seem pretty stingy with lately. Last one I think was a flash sales I missed during the winter holiday sale. I've seen the L4D series go up for sale at least twice since the holidays and I think the Counter-Strike games have been up a few times as well, but other than a sale on the original Half-Life a week or two after the Linux release I haven't seen any of the other Half-Life titles on sale.
              I'm pretty stingy when it comes to software, but I don't think slightly more than a good cup of coffee is really asking too much for these titles, even if they are fairly old. I mean, how much less would it take you to buy them? $2? If you would "really like to play" them, I'm not sure waiting around to save a couple of bucks is worth it. Not preaching, just sayin!

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                I'm pretty stingy when it comes to software, but I don't think slightly more than a good cup of coffee is really asking too much for these titles, even if they are fairly old. I mean, how much less would it take you to buy them? $2? If you would "really like to play" them, I'm not sure waiting around to save a couple of bucks is worth it. Not preaching, just sayin!
                Hehe, it is a slippery slope. I already bought the Original Half-Life the day it went beta on Linux for $10, which is about what the Half-Life Complete Pack goes for when it is on sale. So even now just waiting till the next pack sale I will still have paid twice what was strictly necessary. If I spend another $10 now.... You see where this is going.

Comment

Yes! Thank you very much Valve!
                  I have recently decided to play through all the older HL series' games,
                  unfortunately having finished Half Life 1 on Windows a couple days before it was
                  ported to Linux (I never expected them to lol). Now I can finish Opposing Force
                  and Blue Shift on Linux however =) And hopefully HL? + Episodes will be playable
                  soon too.
                  The reason I'm so happy these titles got ported though is that AFAIK,
                  both Blue shift and Opposing Force were developed outside Valve (correct me if
                  I'm wrong?) and therefore never expected them to be ported.
                  They don't even show up on Vavle's game catalog

By the way, when I bought my physical Half Life copy back then (this was so long
                  ago, Steam wasn't even a store yet), I got all spin offs (all the listed titles in the
                  article + CS + DoD) for free as well. Seeing each individual of those titles actually
                  costs like 5€ on the store kind of shocked me =O
                  Last edited by Ancurio; 30 March 2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                    meh we still have to get half life 2 and all the mods....meh I just want some real modern games. I don't like buying games I wont play. Left 4 dead 2 is what I'm waiting for. I don't want games that are a century old lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X