Valve Releases New Steam Figures For March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    oh, I would have loved to play - but the last steam client update now wants libsdl 2.0.

I don't have that....

So I am out.

Thanks for breaking, Valve.
    Ahem. What do you have? Update / upgrade your OS and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      The soda maybe great but where's the spiced chicken.

If you want people to come to your fast food outlet, then make sure there are items on the menu.

Get the analogy...
      Yeah I played thew most of my Linux games last month so this month I have mainly been gaming from windows, I do expect that I will be playing some bastion in April and hopefully l4d2 will be out for Linux once I am done with that.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        The soda maybe great but where's the spiced chicken.

If you want people to come to your fast food outlet, then make sure there are items on the menu.

Get the analogy...
        Spiced chicken (HL2, EP1, EP2, L4D2, CS:GO) is coming soon, I hope.

Comment

Plus you got Tomb Raider and Bioshock Inf. that just came out ... Trying to get Tomb Raider to Wine as we speak I have little hope of Bioshock working... Oh well when you get the games for free.

Comment

1. the novelty worn off

2. only people with nvidia cards are able to properly play games (bla bla bla stfu, everyone knows amd and intel perf suck in linux)

3. windows users who just wanted to get the penguin for free

4. old old old games, I mean OLD games that I played when I was a kid, cs etc

Comment

My Steam list in Linux is very short compared to my Windows list... I've bought a lot of Linux-friendly indie games in the bundle sales - but the replay value is lower compared to the likes of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or the Half-Life 2 series... qed

I would fire up Steam under Linux if I could play Black Mesa Source and HL2 (+episodes), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                1. the novelty worn off

2. only people with nvidia cards are able to properly play games (bla bla bla stfu, everyone knows amd and intel perf suck in linux)

I'd put money on it mostly being numbers 3 and 4 from that list, with an emphasis on 3. I've got plenty of Linux games on Steam to play right now, but I wish that HL2, Portal 1/2, and CS:GO were released. Well, that and Civ 5.

I've got a radeon 6850 w/ r600g on a phenom II x6 1055t, and TF2 runs just fine on my machine (at 1920x1200). Most of the other games I've got installed are less demanding than that. But then, the most graphically intensive games I own are GS:GO, BF:BC2, Borderlands 1, or GRID. I have a suspicion that half of those games would perform acceptably if released in Linux w/ OpenGL.

My biggest problem at the moment is actually Skype. I get some nasty audio distortion on my system when I use Skype for voice chat, which prevents me from using it during my TF2 sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  1. the novelty worn off

Can't agree more on point 4. I own a GTX 660 so the ATI problems I left behind last year.

The top shelf games they are porting are mostly old titles that the essence has all but dried up in. New games should be new releases.

The problem is game developers need solid standards for graphics and sound. You either do this with wrappers, or the distributors need to concrete standard in with modern able drivers and routines. Ubuntu's Mir maybe the preferred choice for developers coming from other platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    I'd put money on it mostly being numbers 3 and 4 from that list, with an emphasis on 3. I've got plenty of Linux games on Steam to play right now, but I wish that HL2, Portal 1/2, and CS:GO were released. Well, that and Civ 5.

I've got a radeon 6850 w/ r600g on a phenom II x6 1055t, and TF2 runs just fine on my machine (at 1920x1200). Most of the other games I've got installed are less demanding than that. But then, the most graphically intensive games I own are GS:GO, BF:BC2, Borderlands 1, or GRID. I have a suspicion that half of those games would perform acceptably if released in Linux w/ OpenGL.

My biggest problem at the moment is actually Skype. I get some nasty audio distortion on my system when I use Skype for voice chat, which prevents me from using it during my TF2 sessions.
                    I've got a 6850 too and I couldnt be more happy with it. It plays everything I throw at it at my monitors resolution of 1680x1050. What more could you ask for really? A card that plays everything you throw at it at your monitors top resolution is kinda the point.

r600g is a pretty good driver.

I think these linux numbers just reflect that many of the games that folks want to play havent been ported yet. In addition alot of the rounding is to 0.00% which counts as nothing. Even so it couldn't be more than a quarter percent off tho, so not a real big deal.
                    Last edited by duby229; 30 March 2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

7870 and 6550 both play all the games I own for steam flawless.
                      My Nvidia card (GT 520) plays without problems as well.

I think most people say the Linux driver situation is bad because they think about times passed.

Comment

Working...
                      X