Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Releases New Steam Figures For March

Phoronix: Valve Releases New Steam Figures For March

Valve has released new Steam user survey data for March 2013. Interestingly though, the Linux usage hasn't risen but rather appears to be stagnant or on a decline...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I go into a little more depth here: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...goes-down.1877

Including showing some oddities with the survey.

Comment

I believe the numbers will rise again once some of the newer source-engine powered Valve titles are out.

Comment

The soda maybe great but where's the spiced chicken.

If you want people to come to your fast food outlet, then make sure there are items on the menu.

Get the analogy...

Comment

Without knowing how they are rounding there is no way to prove this, but I think part of the decline is due to breaking Linux up into individual distros. We got a bump up when they finally sorted out most of the "other" category, but they have also broken Linux up into more distros since then. What if they are flooring to the nearest .01, if that is the case then a fair few of those 0.00% distros could be actually closer to 0.009 and if that is the case also all the other distros can be losing nearly as much in their representation. There are ~19-22 Linux distros listed as 0.00%, and some of "other" can still be some odd ball distros that aren't being accounted for properly yet.

Another thing I am curious about is survey participation. I have yet to ever be asked to be in the survey from my Linux client, yet it seems every month I am asked to be in it for my Wine client, despite only running Stream through Wine a couple times a month while my Linux client gets run nearly every day. Are all Linux clients being added automatically or has my system never been counted as part of the Linux numbers since November?

[EDIT: I did some counting, and it looks like there are about 47 Linux distros being counted in the survey, not including anything in "other" that may or may not be Linux. If they are each losing on average 0.005% to chopping things down to the 100th place, that would add up to roughly another 0.24% which would bring us back up to just shy of 2% again.]
          Last edited by IanS; 30 March 2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
            I go into a little more depth here: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...goes-down.1877

Including showing some oddities with the survey.
            Yea, that's really weird. Was there some giant leap in absolute Steam usage on Windows? That's the only way the deltas could make sense, and it doesn't seem to be plausible. Unless the deltas are not for months, but for something like weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Yea, that's really weird. Was there some giant leap in absolute Steam usage on Windows? That's the only way the deltas could make sense, and it doesn't seem to be plausible. Unless the deltas are not for months, but for something like weeks?
              Another plausible explanation is that less people used steam on Linux for this period. Some people could have tried Steam initially but then stopped using it. I am one such person.

Comment

Another thing comes to mind as well, didn't they run that TF2 Linux exclusive item in February? Could be some folks who installed Linux and Steam just to snag the collectable might have got counted as well, leading to an unnatural boost last month.

Comment

oh, I would have loved to play - but the last steam client update now wants libsdl 2.0.

I don't have that....

So I am out.

Thanks for breaking, Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    oh, I would have loved to play - but the last steam client update now wants libsdl 2.0.

I don't have that....

So I am out.

Thanks for breaking, Valve.
                    It is shipping it by itself through the Steam Runtime. You don't need it installed.

Comment

Working...
                    X