Valve Releases New Steam Figures For March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
    Another plausible explanation is that less people used steam on Linux for this period. Some people could have tried Steam initially but then stopped using it. I am one such person.
    No, the deltas wouldn't be overwhelmingly positive in that case. Percentages show one thing, deltas show another thing entirely, that's the main oddity here.

Comment

I still say the biggest reason for the drop is due to truncating the values to the hundreth place spread out over just shy of 50 distros. Steam has over 50 million accounts, let's say only 20% of those are active and responding to the survey. That is still 10 million accounts, to get to even 0.01% of that a distro would need at least 100k Steam users while just 0.001% would still be ~10k accounts. If they are just doing a simple floor truncation then upwards of 99,999 accounts get tossed out for just a single distro alone if these hypothetical numbers are remotely accurate; could be a lot more, though probably not much less. So even dropping just 0.005% from each of the 47 distros could mean 2.35 million Linux users or more slipping through the cracks.
      Last edited by IanS; 30 March 2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to say the games I purchased on Steam are high quality experiences. I think the way the games ran and the sound and graphics far surpassed Windows based gaming. The problem is Windows attracts the new titles since they have sound and graphics standards and numbers.

Things will change if Ubuntu/Shuttleworth can get the vision of Mir to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          Things will change if Ubuntu/Shuttleworth can get the vision of Mir to fruition.
          Yes he said it... Leave it alone don't feed the troll we have too many post in specifics placed to bring it in this thread... please please please ignore it.

Comment

Re

The higher percentage was because of the initial hipe. That always happens: games at release, movies... All the people want to try it out and than they lose interest. We'll see what will happen when bigger titles appear but I doubt a lot will change, that was pretty much the pick, all the interested Linux users jumped to try it out in January...

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
              I still say the biggest reason for the drop is due to truncating the values to the hundreth place spread out over just shy of 50 distros. Steam has over 50 million accounts, let's say only 20% of those are active and responding to the survey. That is still 10 million accounts, to get to even 0.01% of that a distro would need at least 100k Steam users while just 0.001% would still be ~10k accounts. If they are just doing a simple floor truncation then upwards of 99,999 accounts get tossed out for just a single distro alone if these hypothetical numbers are remotely accurate; could be a lot more, though probably not much less. So even dropping just 0.005% from each of the 47 distros could mean 2.35 million Linux users or more slipping through the cracks.
              My bad, I should of checked the math, rereading it I thought something seemed off. Seems I had everything shifted over 2 places in my haste. So sticking with the 10m example:
              - 0.01% = 1k
              - 0.001% = 100
              - upwards of 999 accounts don't get counted per distro
              - 0.005% from each of the 47 listed distros would = ~23.5k users or more unaccounted for

Still a bit surprised no one else caught that before me. >.<

Comment

I'm not surprised. Initially there were more people testing the Steam client out or just wanting to check it out and see it in action, but now the "newness" has worn off and most of peoples' games are still on Windows. I play Crusader Kings 2 and Serious Sam 3: BFE on Linux, but most of my games are still on Windows. Once more games appear on Steam Linux the numbers may well go up again, like when the big Kickstarter projects (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Broken Age, etc.) start popping up.

Personally I think the Steam Linux experiment has been a success so far. I've enjoyed the experience anyway.

Comment

They need to allow Windows games to be installed on Steam. For example, you have the option of installing Mass Effect on Ubuntu through Steam, and Steam will use a particular WINE version for it that's known to be compatible.

Otherwise, it'll be difficult to get people interested in switching over to Linux if they can't bring all their library of games with them. We also can't expect developers to take the time to port their old games over to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    7870 and 6550 both play all the games I own for steam flawless.
                    My Nvidia card (GT 520) plays without problems as well.

I think most people say the Linux driver situation is bad because they think about times passed.
                    I'm glad you're not having issues, but that doesn't mean that nobody else is. See: any Linux user who ever had the misfortune of buying a laptop with an Optimus setup. Also, the tempest in the Steam forums of people trying Ubuntu to get that penguin doll and encountering major issues.

If a non-technical person with an arbitrary but common hardware setup cannot simply migrate to Linux and expect everything to work, then the driver situation ought to be considered dire.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      They need to allow Windows games to be installed on Steam. For example, you have the option of installing Mass Effect on Ubuntu through Steam, and Steam will use a particular WINE version for it that's known to be compatible.

Otherwise, it'll be difficult to get people interested in switching over to Linux if they can't bring all their library of games with them. We also can't expect developers to take the time to port their old games over to Linux.
                      That'll never happen. It's true that wine has improved a lot over the years, but it is FAR from ideal. Valve has no control over wine and games break that once worked constantly. The amount of regressions that wine fixes and adds each release is astounding. Plus DirectX performance sucks ass big time. Even games that render properly are slow as dirt in DX mode.

It just isnt stable. Valve cant fix that. They just can't rely on wine.

Comment

Working...
                      X