DragonFlyBSD 3.4 Coming Soon, Focuses On DPorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lesterchester View Post
    First of all Linux code is heavily audited by many people. BSD code is not, so little people care about it and those who do are bias and ignore most flaws they found. OpenBSD is the prime example. In fact in December 2010, OpenBSD has allowed the FBI to place backdoors in Both OpenSSH, OpenBSD itself and PF.
    Wrong

Wrong
    SecurityBob writes "Debian package maintainers tend to very often modify the source code of the package they are maintaining so that it better fits into the distribution itself. However, most of the time, their changes are not sent back to upstream for validation, which might cause some tension betw...

If you're going to troll, at least put some effort in first.

Comment

You mean there's former BSD code in Linux. Remember that BSD license allows you to remove it from the code so it's no longer BSD code, it's GPL code.

There is no BSD in Linux
      Have to disagree here. The BSD license does not allow you to remove the license, just to mix the BSD-licensed code with other differently-licensed code without imposing requirements on the *other* code.

Most of the graphics drivers in Linux are X11 licensed (X11 license is similar to 2-clause BSD) and retain that license in the kernel tree.
      Test signature

Comment

You mean there's former BSD code in Linux. Remember that BSD license allows you to remove it from the code so it's no longer BSD code, it's GPL code.

There is no BSD in Linux
        Also, BSD is not only a kernel.

For remote access you are probably gonna use OpenSSH, unless you still use rsh.

Comment

Linux doesn't have to learn from BSD, because it has all that BSD has and more. BSD on the other hand has to learn a lot from Linux but they always resist and thus are never catch up with linux. examples: package management and visualization. BSD goons keep saying it's irrelevant and ports and jails are superior. Well now they are scrambling to implement pkgng and Bhyve in 2012. More then 10 years after Linux equivalents. And both are just crap and don't live up to their promise.

Linux is far ahead of BSD. In fact I'd say BSD is use securely designed then windows, no kidding. First of all Linux code is heavily audited by many people. BSD code is not, so little people care about it and those who do are bias and ignore most flaws they found. OpenBSD is the prime example. In fact in December 2010, OpenBSD has allowed the FBI to place backdoors in Both OpenSSH, OpenBSD itself and PF. Linux has in-built security mechanisms such as SELinux, AppArmor etc. *BSD has non of that. They claim, their code is so audited that they don't need those. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

PF is totally lacking in features and usable security compared to IPTABLES. It's virtually useless. You either block out access to the internet totally or you leave your system wide open. PF and OpenBSD is useless
          On the begining Linux learned a lot from BSD. BSD is missing some features Linux has, but it's definitely not package management.

OpenBSD devs responds far faster then Linux devs, when it comes to vulnerabilities. But they are very slower when it comes to hardware incompatibility or features.
          Security mechanisms like SELinux, AppArmor ... are not protection for vulnerabilities in kernel and they said that they won't implement them, because they are hard to configure correctly.
          Anyway FreeBSD has such mechanism: http://www.trustedbsd.org/sebsd.html.

PF and iptables are pretty much the same, but PF has nicer syntax and PF is probably faster on single processor (most firewalls) than iptables.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Have to disagree here. The BSD license does not allow you to remove the license, just to mix the BSD-licensed code with other differently-licensed code without imposing requirements on the *other* code.
            True, but in practise it is as he said. In a BSD-licensed file, if I do a change licensed under the GPL, it "taints" the file in that it as a whole is GPL. My change cannot be merged to any BSD codebase under the BSD license, and as those changes accumulate, finding out which parts are still only BSD becomes rather unwieldy.

This happens in the linux kernel a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              True, but in practise it is as he said. In a BSD-licensed file, if I do a change licensed under the GPL, it "taints" the file in that it as a whole is GPL. My change cannot be merged to any BSD codebase under the BSD license, and as those changes accumulate, finding out which parts are still only BSD becomes rather unwieldy.

This happens in the linux kernel a lot.
              I think you mean if you combine it in a 'greater work' under a GPL license.

Comment

Yes, that exactly.

Comment

I found this google+ thread about Mattew Dillon, the creator of dragonflyBSD:

https://plus.google.com/101384639386...ts/Dkb8iixE4eP

DragonflyBSD and BSD for that matter is absolutely uneeded. And people like crackpot Dillon need to stop wasting their time on a pile of shit just because he was kicked out of some shitting club (FreeBSD project). It would have been much better if he just joined Linux and help it improve farther.

Right now his just copying Linux kernel techniques just to make his pile of shit have 80% linux performance. I really don't see the point. Join Linux stop making shit.

Comment

I found this google+ thread about Mattew Dillon, the creator of dragonflyBSD:

https://plus.google.com/101384639386...ts/Dkb8iixE4eP

DragonflyBSD and BSD for that matter is absolutely uneeded. And people like crackpot Dillon need to stop wasting their time on a pile of shit just because he was kicked out of some shitting club (FreeBSD project). It would have been much better if he just joined Linux and help it improve farther.

Right now his just copying Linux kernel techniques just to make his pile of shit have 80% linux performance. I really don't see the point. Join Linux stop making shit.
                    Next time read comments.

Originally posted by Theodore Ts'o 4. nov. 2012
                    I used to have a friendly competition with the FreeBSD serial driver author; we would try to compete on who could minimize the CPU overhead of serial processing for kermit transfers over multiple 115kbps serial links. Competition can be a good thing; we challenged each other to make things better, and we swapped tricks and tips about how to do it. Ultimately, I was able to make change to the tty layer to reduce overhead, while the FreeBSD team at the time still considered core architectural issues to be handed down on stone tablets from the Gods of CSRG, so he was finally unable to keep up with me. It was fun while it lasted, though. :-)

Comment

Just want to add that, as a Windows and Mac user, I find the posts about how much more popular Linux is compared to BSD kinda cute. As if anyone cares about one of those these days. Ok, not quite true. At least BSD has the power to serve as a great code snippets collection for MacOS. GNU/Linux is just useless. Carry on.
                      Last edited by Tinitus; 04 April 2013, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X