No announcement yet.

Why Wayland & Weston Were Forked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having horrible Compiz flashbacks here. Maybe someone will take the time to port any of soreau's changes back to something wayland compatible to show he is doing unneeded work and he'll give up on the fork just like what happened there.

Comment

• I thought the point of FOSS was that if any single individual decided they wanted to fork a project and take it on their own adventure, they could. Regardless of whatever lack of social tact Mr. Moreau may have, I don't really see the point of getting butt hurt about him deciding to take everything lock stock and barrel and fork. One of the projects will ultimately produce the better product. May the best ideas win.

Comment

• Originally posted by akincer View Post
        I thought the point of FOSS was that if any single individual decided they wanted to fork a project and take it on their own adventure, they could. Regardless of whatever lack of social tact Mr. Moreau may have, I don't really see the point of getting butt hurt about him deciding to take everything lock stock and barrel and fork. One of the projects will ultimately produce the better product. May the best ideas win.
        He is free to fork but that doesn't mean everyone has to like the idea or just ignore what he says about it.

Comment

• Why don't you all just go bite yourselves and watch the snow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Amaranth View Post
            He is free to fork but that doesn't mean everyone has to like the idea or just ignore what he says about it.
            If they did ignore it, then this thread wouldn't exist.

It just seems silly to me for them to get upset about the fork.

Comment

• Originally posted by akincer View Post
              If they did ignore it, then this thread wouldn't exist.

It just seems silly to me for them to get upset about the fork.
              Just like with Mir, they were caught with their pants down. All this Wayland hype seems to be like a card haus.

Comment

• Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                Just like with Mir, they were caught with their pants down. All this Wayland hype seems to be like a card haus.
                Wayland has:
                - functional display server
                - functional reference compositor
                - backing of all major toolkits, of which gtk and efl already have working wayland support
                - backing of almost all major desktops
                - backing of all major distros except ubuntu

Mir has:
                - umm... Shuttleworth said it's gonna be really cool and stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  - backing of all major toolkits, of which gtk and efl already have working wayland support
                  As well as Qt and Clutter.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                    It would be nice if one day someone could come up with a communication medium that automatically filters-in only technical discussion and filters-out the rest.
                    That's called competent moderation. For some reason it seems phoronix has taken a stance of almost non-existent moderation.

Comment

• Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                      That's called competent moderation. For some reason it seems phoronix has taken a stance of almost non-existent moderation.
                      To each their own. Phoronix seems to function mostly adequately even without moderation. For that matter, from what I've seen, the best kind of moderation is usually when moderators don't butt in too easily. Getting too anxious about moderation easily leads into moderator power trips, it's just human nature...

Comment

Working...
                      X