ZFS On Linux Is Now Set For "Wide Scale Deployment"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
    What is with the stupid trolling? It's honestly hardly even worth posting/reading forum threads on Phoronix with the quantity of this kind of nonsense that seems to go on here. It's not even quality trolling.
    Forget it, this one has already shown that he is actually to dumb to do anything right, not even being a Phoronix troll.

Comment

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
      What is with the stupid trolling? It's honestly hardly even worth posting/reading forum threads on Phoronix with the quantity of this kind of nonsense that seems to go on here. It's not even quality trolling.
      Having such comments made is an important project milestone. It means we are doing something right.

Comment

Yeah Linux is great step for the technology and i appreciate those guy who make the Linux..How much money is required to get the license of the Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by tadi555 View Post
          Yeah Linux is great step for the technology and i appreciate those guy who make the Linux..How much money is required to get the license of the Linux?
          All of the money.

Comment

Benchmarks

@Michael: Can you please do some benchmarks with the new zfs code. I would be interested to see the performance between ext4/btrfs/zfs.
            Also if you could include OpenSolaris for a native zfs comparison that would be peaches

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
              @Michael: Can you please do some benchmarks with the new zfs code. I would be interested to see the performance between ext4/btrfs/zfs.
              Also if you could include OpenSolaris for a native zfs comparison that would be peaches
              It would be better to use OmniOS in place of Open Solaris.

Comment

I would love to see Linux adopting ZFS as 'standard'; I though free/open source was all about merithocracy...

Comment

It would be good if the linux installers would include some sort of zfs support.
                  You install the zfs package on the running install media, then you are able to partition and install to zfs. This way the zfs is not provided in the install media and no patent issues arise.

I was trying to do this with a fedora 18 live install but it's not very straight forward.

Comment

The community should be able to help you with recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
                      It would be good if the linux installers would include some sort of zfs support.
                      You install the zfs package on the running install media, then you are able to partition and install to zfs. This way the zfs is not provided in the install media and no patent issues arise.

I was trying to do this with a fedora 18 live install but it's not very straight forward.
                      It's not a particularly simple problem to solve, for a number of reasons. One is that the whole installer image needs to fit in memory, so you add a lot to resource requirements if you need to compile from source (ie, the way the kernel mods are currently installed via DKMS). The only way to avoid that would be to precompile binaries for all the installers you want to support, then serve them via HTTP or something for the installer to download. The problem with that is, what happens when you don't have a net connection at install time? It's also pretty inefficient, since you need to serve the bins up every time an install occurs, rather than just once when the installer is downloaded.

An alternative to serving via HTTP might be to offer some sort of ability to use supplementary media, like a USB stick, to load the binaries but you've still got to compile those binaries to match every installer version you want to support (and add those media hooks to all the relevant installers). That's a fairly significant (and ongoing) task, particularly when installation media may get point releases that require new bins.

If you have the memory, using a livecd should already give you a moderately simple path to doing an initial install onto ZFS, since you should be able to boot to the live environment, install the packages as normal, prepare the disks as ZFS and perform the install onto them, then chroot into the install and perform any final configuration (here's a link for HOWTO install Ubuntu on ZFS root, haven't read it in a while, but from memory that was the gist of it).

Comment

Working...
                      X