ZFS On Linux Is Now Set For "Wide Scale Deployment"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
    It's not a particularly simple problem to solve, for a number of reasons. One is that the whole installer image needs to fit in memory, so you add a lot to resource requirements if you need to compile from source (ie, the way the kernel mods are currently installed via DKMS).
    ZFS is unsuitable for low memory systems anyways.
    ZFS is intended for 64-bit systems with 4 GB RAM or more.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
      CPU utilization will likely increase by a few percentage points. However, I cannot speculate on what the effect will be on battery life. ARC could improve battery life while the periodic transaction commit (every 5 seconds) could harm battery life. If I were you, I would put everything on ZFS, rather than just /home.

With that said, you should consider LZ4 compression. It has a few properties that make it more appealing. One is that LZ4's throughput is an order of magnitude greater than gzip, which saves CPU time. Even more appealing is that LZ4 is extremely quick at identifying incompressible data. This property saves even more CPU time. As far as mobile use are concerned, these properties should translate into power savings in comparison to the situation where you use gzip. If you are interested in reading about LZ4, the following links are rather informative:

Extremely Fast Compression algorithm. Contribute to lz4/lz4 development by creating an account on GitHub.

There are a few things to keep in mind when looking at those links:
      1. The first link involves LZ4 r11. The version that ZFS imported is r67 (+/- 2, I forget the exact revision that was imported) and LZ4 has seen plenty of improvements since r11. Of particular interest is the time spent detecting incompressible data.
      2. The second link compares LZO with LZ4. LZO is considered to be quick, but LZ4 beats it in every metric.
      3. The third link is Illumos' writeup on LZ4, which compares it to ZFS' lzjb. lzjb was invented to obtain fair compression, have high throughput and detect incompressible data quickly. Those metrics are considered desireable for use in filesystems. LZ4 does so much better than lzjb in all of them that the Illumos developers initially thought that it was too good to be true when it was first discussed on their mailing list.
      4. The fourth link is the LZ4 project page, which has a chart comparing the throughput and compression ratio of LZ4 to other compression algorithms. Of particular interest it that it shows that LZ4 has an average compression ratio of 2.1 while gzip -1 has an average compression ratio of 2.7, so you do not really pay much in terms of space for the benefits of LZ4

thanks a lot ryao !

that's a more in-depth answer than I had anticipated

I'm currently trying out ZFS/ZOL with lz4-algorithm on one of my backup disks and it looks good

I see one issue which hinders me from using lz4 on my laptop / on the root partition: there's no liveCDs with ZOL available that support the LZ4 algorithm

in case things go wrong I would have no access to my data at all if all partitions were using the LZ4 compression algorithm - am I correct ?

Comment

not exactly sure what's going on here:

I created the pool with sub-pools/volumes and copied already some data to it (around 800 GB), exported it

booted into windows

now came back to linux and wanted to import it:

zpool import WD30EFRX
        cannot import 'WD30EFRX': one or more devices is currently unavailable

zpool import
        pool: WD30EFRX
        id: 6937543019016739157
        state: FAULTED
        action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
        see: http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
        config:

WD30EFRX FAULTED corrupted data
        WDred_zfs UNAVAIL corrupted data

these are pools with compress=lz4 set

I reproducibly got the same error when creating a new pool and after exporting trying to re-import it

any ideas ?

this is on an GPT partition table -> partition

might that be the reason ?

edit:

the same happens when using lzjb
        Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 20 April 2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          not exactly sure what's going on here:

I created the pool with sub-pools/volumes and copied already some data to it (around 800 GB), exported it

booted into windows

now came back to linux and wanted to import it:

these are pools with compress=lz4 set

I reproducibly got the same error when creating a new pool and after exporting trying to re-import it

any ideas ?

this is on an GPT partition table -> partition

might that be the reason ?

edit:

the same happens when using lzjb

found the reason:

I was testing the live ebuild and some recent changes might have caused this

now using "stable" 0.6.1 release and everything's fine

so a heads-up - something could be broken/regression in the current developmental state

Comment

ryao, you by chance know if suspend-to-ram, so freezing of the filesystem's contents, work with ZFS (I doubt it - but it would be a pleasant surprise)

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              That was a deliberate decision from SUN when they were losing their market share against Linux system especially IBM and Red Hat.
              As a result, binary ZFS on Linux cannot legally included out of box nor integrated into Linux kernel. When Oracle will decide to change ZFS license for GPL compatibility (unlikely), then it can. For now, ZFS is a legal minefield that out-weights its technical merit.

Amen!

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
              I would love to see Linux adopting ZFS as 'standard'; I though free/open source was all about merithocracy...
              Not going to happen until ZFS is GPL which is maybe never. The CDDL is made as a fuck you to the Linux community, as such I say fuck you to the CDDL and ZFS.

Comment

ZFS is open source

Those of you who say that ZFS is closed source: it is not. ZFS have been forked, and the Oracle ZFS is closed source, yes. The Illumos (Solaris kernel) have forked ZFS and it is completely open sourced under CDDL. Several OSes use ZFS today: FreeBSD, Mac OS X (Z-410), OpenSolaris, etc.

Both of the head architects of ZFS have quit Sun and one of the them have joined Joyent who also created nodejs. All DTrace creators have joined Joyent too. They work on Illumos, and Joyent has the strongest Solaris kernel hackers outside Oracle. Illumos have several new ZFS functions that even Oracle Solaris does not have. Some believe that Illumos ZFS will surpass Oracle Solaris. Also, a FreeBSD hacker have coded up LZ4 compression algorithm, which is very clever. So, there is lot of momentum in open source ZFS outside Oracle Solaris.

BTW, the well known compression algorithm lzjb (lzJB) is named after Jeff Bonwick, the other head architect of ZFS. Matt Ahrens at Joyent is the other.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
                  Those of you who say that ZFS is closed source: it is not. ZFS have been forked, and the Oracle ZFS is closed source, yes. The Illumos (Solaris kernel) have forked ZFS and it is completely open sourced under CDDL. Several OSes use ZFS today: FreeBSD, Mac OS X (Z-410), OpenSolaris, etc.

Both of the head architects of ZFS have quit Sun and one of the them have joined Joyent who also created nodejs. All DTrace creators have joined Joyent too. They work on Illumos, and Joyent has the strongest Solaris kernel hackers outside Oracle. Illumos have several new ZFS functions that even Oracle Solaris does not have. Some believe that Illumos ZFS will surpass Oracle Solaris. Also, a FreeBSD hacker have coded up LZ4 compression algorithm, which is very clever. So, there is lot of momentum in open source ZFS outside Oracle Solaris.

BTW, the well known compression algorithm lzjb (lzJB) is named after Jeff Bonwick, the other head architect of ZFS. Matt Ahrens at Joyent is the other.
                  Interesting post.
                  It is too bad ZFS is covered by patents, and that it is not available under the BSD license or GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Interesting post.
                    It is too bad ZFS is covered by patents, and that it is not available under the BSD license or GPL.
                    True, ZFS is covered by patents.

But it still open source under CDDL, and several OSes use it. FreeBSD can use it, why can not Linux use it? Mac OS X use it. All OpenSolaris distros use it. Also, Linux use it. Here are all OSes that use it, it is quite a list.

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
                      The question asked in this thread, "Will you use ZFS?"...
                      Is there a Debian fork that has ZFS compiled in the kernel?
                      Probably not what you had in mind, but since nobody else pointed it out yet, there's Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. ZFS comes as a zfsutils package and a loadable kernel module (because of the CDDL license - you should not use GPL-licensed kernel modules such as extfs at the same time).

The installer for the Wheezy kfreebsd-amd64 release (this weekend!) allows to partition all/part of a disk for ZFS, then use it as root filesystem, as /home, /boot, or anything else. It will set up GRUB2 for you and load the zfs.ko module automatically.

Comment

Working...
                      X