Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have vaapi working reliably on sandy bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have vaapi working reliably on sandy bridge?

Does anyone have a Sandy Bridge CPU on which they are reliably using vaapi for hardware-based video decoding? If so, I'd be interested in hearing all the details of your setup (hardware, distro, versions of all relevant packages, etc). I've got an i3-2100 in a MythTV-based media PC. I've been waiting since the SNB launch for Intel X.org drivers to "just work" in Linux, but alas, nearly two years have passed, and this still isn't the case.

Basically, when I try to use vaapi (i.e. hardware-based video decoding) things work for some random amount of time. Then eventually X totally locks up. I get this in /var/log/message:

Code:
    Mar 28 16:57:09 mythtv kernel: [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
    Mar 28 16:57:09 mythtv kernel: [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
    If I try to see the i915_error_state file, it fails:
    Code:
    [root@mythtv ~]# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
    cat: /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state: Cannot allocate memory
    Here is a report of someone having what appears to be a nearly identical problem, but that bug looks to be abandoned... No activity since September, 2012.

I'm using version 2.21 of the Intel X.org drivers, vaapi 1.0.17, mesa version 9.0, kernel 3.8.4.

Since this is fairly repeatable, can anyone point me to a resource where it has a reasonable chance of getting fixed? I believe some of the Intel staffers working on the drivers hung out on these forums at one point...

If I forgo the vaapi thing, and use use pure software decoding, everything works fine. But it would nice to be able to fully utilize the hardware in Linux.

Bump... anyone?

Comment

Working...
    X