Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Features Proposed For C++14

Phoronix: Many Features Proposed For C++14

C++14 is the next update for the C++ programming language. While slated as only a minor extension to C++11, there are several new features being proposed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So OpenMP would be considered a standard library and replace <threads>?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

No it will add not replace threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        So OpenMP would be considered a standard library and replace <threads>?
        OpenMP is a high-level threading API. It couldn't possibly replace <threads>.

Comment

All I want is modules. Pls Herb. End the textual inclusion nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            All I want is modules. Pls Herb. End the textual inclusion nightmare.
            ++++

But I don't think modules will land this decade, if ever. Because adding a fifth parameter-passing method is more important than, say, not crashing whenever you throw an exception from a shared library. Who cares about modules or encapsulation or terrible copy-paste coding (sorry, "textual inclusion"), now you can have rvalue-references and a dozen standard optional random number generators!

Comment

having written high performance massively parallel software my experience with openMP is quite unimpressive. Gains are typically quite sub linear, more log-like. It's okay as a stop gap for trying to upgrade old non thread safe software. IMHO new vector unit technology can be dramatically faster. In my experience there are 2 levels of parallelization: instruction level. best left to vectorization techniques, and task level parallelism which is an issue of software design and not a coding problem.

Comment

Bah C++11 was awesome, but this C++14 list looks like it was writen by somebody who want to code Java. It is all extensions to the standard library that no one uses anyway. Yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                  having written high performance massively parallel software my experience with openMP is quite unimpressive. Gains are typically quite sub linear, more log-like. It's okay as a stop gap for trying to upgrade old non thread safe software. IMHO new vector unit technology can be dramatically faster. In my experience there are 2 levels of parallelization: instruction level. best left to vectorization techniques, and task level parallelism which is an issue of software design and not a coding problem.
                  This depends very much on your algorithm. Most importantly how large the thread copying overhead is compared to the actualy workload of each thread and how much of your algorithm needs to be inside critical sections.

If you apply it to the outermost loops, with each loop iteration doing lots and lots of work with minimal critical sections, gains can be very close to linear, in my experience.

OpenMP is a wonderful, wonderful way to make software multi-threaded without major rewrites.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    This depends very much on your algorithm. Most importantly how large the thread copying overhead is compared to the actualy workload of each thread and how much of your algorithm needs to be inside critical sections.

If you apply it to the outermost loops, with each loop iteration doing lots and lots of work with minimal critical sections, gains can be very close to linear, in my experience.

OpenMP is a wonderful, wonderful way to make software multi-threaded without major rewrites.
                    Agreed. We use it for stochastic simulations, where each path numerically solves a set of stochastic partial differential equations with different noises. The processes only need to communicate infrequently to average results. Speed up is basically linear up to at least 12 cores (unless you become limited by memory bandwidth issues).

Comment

Working...
                    X