Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serge View Post
    And how did that turn out for that guy? :P
    Well, we're still talking about him 2.5 thousand years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      I don't mind having broken power savings on a desktop GPU or processor since...well..it's a desktop. It's always plugged into the mains.

What I cannot stand are broken power savings on mobile AMD hardware. So please prioritize those over your desktop hardware.
      I don't think there's all that much difference there.

Comment

@Bridgeman,

I've more sympathy for your work on the AMD Gallium driver - which has seen great improvements over the past ~5 years. Compare this then to the work on Catalyst (or should I say lack of work perhaps)... When I play STALKER : SOC (via Wine) on Gallium the FPS is very low - but there no rendering anomalies. Catalyst 13.1 struggles with some of the more advanced lighting effects in recent mods (as have all previous versions) - big jagged black lines coming down from the heavens, glitched shadows, etc.... Glitches that aren't present (naturally) when I use an Nvidia GPU...

(Sighes) Goes back to Windows 7 for gaming on my laptop with an AMD (Radeon 4650M) GPU... Sadly AMD don't appear to be able to produce a fully working Linux driver for this chip (either closed or open -source)...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          ... that seems odd, since the first time I talked about starting to work on it was just over a year ago and I said it wouldn't be quick and that we didn't know at the time what (if anything) we would end up being able to release. What do you think we "promised" ?

I guess, although to the best of my knowledge shooting messengers has *never* accomplished anything in the entire history of mankind and after the first couple of times it doesn't even make you feel any better
          The thing is AMD is losing customers. I for one will never buy an AMD GPU again. Enough is enough, you (AMD) are playing with us. You need to learn something from Intel and Nvidia, at least they are coherent with their policy. The former makes ONLY an opensource driver, while the latter makes ONLY one closed source driver. Your situation is somewhat schizophrenic, you give us a buggy binary driver or an incomplete open source one.

P.D: Note this has nothing to do with you personally bridgman, because I know you are doing the best you can.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            The thing is AMD is losing customers. I for one will never buy an AMD GPU again. Enough is enough, you (AMD) are playing with us. You need to learn something from Intel and Nvidia, at least they are coherent with their policy. The former makes ONLY an opensource driver, while the latter makes ONLY one closed source driver. Your situation is somewhat schizophrenic, you give us a buggy binary driver or an incomplete open source one.

P.D: Note this has nothing to do with you personally bridgman, because I know you are doing the best you can.
            The OSS driver is leaps and bounds better than the closed driver. If AMD begins to believe that the OSS driver is a failure, then they will drop it and support only the closed driver. Which will be baaaaaad for everyone. At least the OSS driver is stable. Stable meaning that crashes and incorrect rendering isnt a major problem.

I for one am thankful that the OSS driver exists and do not wish to see it go. (Though I do agree that the power management needs to come along soon. (At least documentation at the very minimum, even if no code is released) Too long is too long.)

Comment

Have choices now.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              ..If AMD begins to believe that the OSS driver is a failure, then they will drop it and support only the closed driver. Which will be baaaaaad for everyone.
              It's a pity if that happens. But we have choices now. [overpriced] Intel, or [weaker processing] ARM

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                (At least documentation at the very minimum, even if no code is released)
                Documentation is generally harder to release than code... we started with a "docs first" model but found that "code first" let us move more quickly.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Documentation is generally harder to release than code... we started with a "docs first" model but found that "code first" let us move more quickly.
                  Don't let the haters bother you.

Once you release OpenCL and powersaving support, open drivers will be almost perfect, they will only need optimisations.

In fact, when fully working dynamic powersaving is released, I bet most moaners will stop hating and love the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    In fact, when fully working dynamic powersaving is released, I bet most moaners will stop hating and love the drivers.
                    Then us moaners will nag about video acceleration support

Comment

Folks, did anybody notice that this thread should be about a CPU feature (one that sounds quite interesting if done right)?
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X