AMD Works On Linux Power Savings For Future CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Folks, did anybody notice that this thread should be about a CPU feature (one that sounds quite interesting if done right)?
    Well, it's interesting, but nothing is using it just yet, so we don't really know how effective it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      At least the OSS driver is stable. Stable meaning that crashes and incorrect rendering isnt a major problem.
      Except for some GPUs. I have incorrect rendering and crashes where not even MagSysRQ works with the OSS driver while catalyst is (except some minor rendering issues) stable. I reported all bugs I've found to both camps and so far the catalyst guys are faster at fixing major bugs (talking about fixed-in-the-next-release vs. not-fixed-since-ages).

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Then us moaners will nag about video acceleration support
      You mean this? :P

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        The thing is AMD is losing customers. I for one will never buy an AMD GPU again. Enough is enough, you (AMD) are playing with us. You need to learn something from Intel and Nvidia, at least they are coherent with their policy. The former makes ONLY an opensource driver, while the latter makes ONLY one closed source driver. Your situation is somewhat schizophrenic, you give us a buggy binary driver or an incomplete open source one.

P.D: Note this has nothing to do with you personally bridgman, because I know you are doing the best you can.
        Yep, but on my side this became "I will never buy nvidia again" and am going to be really careful about intel hardware (GMA 4500HD here, still waiting on video decode support).
        Why? As a linux-rc user/tester, binary drivers are a no-go. nvidia chips are incomplete ( SATA port multiplier support in my instance https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.ph...dware_features ). AMD on the other hand promised OSS drivers, and delivered. (Thanks)

Now this new generation of APUs looks very promising. But my HTPC doesn't need an update yet

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          The thing is AMD is losing customers. I for one will never buy an AMD GPU again. Enough is enough, you (AMD) are playing with us. You need to learn something from Intel and Nvidia, at least they are coherent with their policy. The former makes ONLY an opensource driver, while the latter makes ONLY one closed source driver. Your situation is somewhat schizophrenic, you give us a buggy binary driver or an incomplete open source one.
          I have to ask about your "never" statement. You see the progress the open source driver is making -- other than power management and a bit more performance work, what do you think it is missing. If/when those bits are in place, will you still "never" buy from us ?
          Test signature

Comment

Working...
          X