Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arch Linux Replaces MySQL With MariaDB

Default Arch Linux Replaces MySQL With MariaDB

Phoronix: Arch Linux Replaces MySQL With MariaDB

The latest Linux distribution outting of MySQL is Arch Linux, which has replaced the database solution with MariaDB...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzNzA

Default Virtualbox

I really hope Oracle does not follow the same path with Virtualbox, which is one of my top applications.

Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    I really hope Oracle does not follow the same path with Virtualbox, which is one of my top applications.
    Why not VMWare? Better 3D support for the guests if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Why not VMWare? Better 3D support for the guests if nothing else.
    Unfortunately VMWare is not free. For desktop virtualization there's still no better choice than VirtualBox, for server virtualization absolutely go with QEMU-KVM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Unfortunately VMWare is not free. For desktop virtualization there's still no better choice than VirtualBox, for server virtualization absolutely go with QEMU-KVM.
    Are we talking free as in beer or free as in freedom? 'Cause VMWare does have a free (as in beer) version of its application. I don't know how it compares to the paid one, so it may be crippled in comparison, i moved away from VirtualBox to the free VMWare a while back, never looked at the paid one.

So, who thinks eventually MySQL and Hudson will follow in the same footsteps as OpenOffice and go to the Apache Foundation? Java is a different story, I don't ever see them let that one go. It's too well entrenched into everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    So, who thinks eventually MySQL and Hudson will follow in the same footsteps as OpenOffice and go to the Apache Foundation? Java is a different story, I don't ever see them let that one go. It's too well entrenched into everything.
    They kind of already have.... openjdk is the new official reference implementation. Like Oracle is still technically in charge, but...

Are we talking free as in beer or free as in freedom? 'Cause VMWare does have a free (as in beer) version of its application. I don't know how it compares to the paid one, so it may be crippled in comparison, i moved away from VirtualBox to the free VMWare a while back, never looked at the paid one.
    I've always used the commercial version of workstation, never used the open source version. Don't know how much feature is missing from that.

They kind of already have.... openjdk is the new official reference implementation. Like Oracle is still technically in charge, but...
    But the language specification itself and the JCP, they still have quite a bit of influence over that.

Free as in freedom, of course. People tend to forget that it's also an objective quality of software.