Thread: KDE Plasma Improvements For NetworkManager

Hybrid View

Default KDE Plasma Improvements For NetworkManager

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Improvements For NetworkManager

Networking support within the KDE Plasma desktop environment will soon be improved thanks to some major work within its NetworkManager applet...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzNzE

I have no problems with the current applet but it's not written in QML and therefore has to be rewritten anyway to work with libplasma2 in the future – just as every other Plasma applet.
    Devoting an entire article to a single applet seems a bit overambitious by Michael but whatever. Hopefully he'll also devote an entire article once the clock widget has been rewritten.

Why is KDE so ugly? What world do kde designers live in?

Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    Why is KDE so ugly? What world do kde designers live in?
    Thats not stock KDE..thats a heavily modified, minimal KDE running with a crappy theme. It literally took my a second to realize what he had done to achieve that, and I use KDE every day.

Thats actually like..painfully ugly in the video (not the applet. The minimalism of the applet is fine. But his specific desktop is fugly >.>)

I am glad to see that the applet no longer wastes ridiculous amounts of space. Now if they would do something similar with the kickoff menu and the calendar I could almost use KDE again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxjen View Post
    I am glad to see that the applet no longer wastes ridiculous amounts of space. Now if they would do something similar with the kickoff menu and the calendar I could almost use KDE again.
    Kickoff is being rewritten in QML, along with all other applets. I'm praying for Nepomuk integration into the menu, like Lancelot and ROSA have.

Calendar...no idea, Dont use it lol.

Well, I never had any issues with that, as there are widescreen monitors everywhere. Having it more compact is nice, but it may be a bit too compact for its own good now...

Now if they would do something similar with the kickoff menu and the calendar I could almost use KDE again.
    Yeah, because simply switching the K Menu to something else (eg. the Classic layout) is waaaaaayyyy to complicated…
    And the Calendar is resizeable.

I agree that the current network applet uses a lot of space, but it doesn't really matter since it's shown only when you click on it--it's not like a window with lots of wasted white space sitting there all the time. (Same applies to kickoff.) As for the clock, I couldn't see how it could make better use of space unless you wanted to abolish the right-side event listing. That is super convenient to many though, including myself, since it pulls in all my calendar events from KOrganizer--just hover over the day and it tells you what events take place then.