GNOME 3.8 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    I believe they were written by scratch by the gnome devs, they are apart of the official repos now, and are maintained by the gnome devs. So either way, even if 1 or 2 of them were adopted from 3rd parties, upstream maintainers are now gnome it looks like.
    Sounds like the responsible thing to do. Extension have so much potential as a ground for design experimentation or improvement that I hope the main GNOME devs won't limit their adoption to the classic mode.

Anyone know of a way to get 3.8 on F18 without upsetting my whole system by jumping to Rawhide or early F19 builds?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is the classic mode some half-assed shit?
      Last I saw some screenshots of it, then it looked really shitty and didn't seem nice at all.
      dude, have you ever looked a Gnome 2? That stuff was ugly.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this appearing in the openSUSE repos. Boxes, and Music look especially good.

Though I have to say, why did anyone spend any time developing Clocks?

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
          Though I have to say, why did anyone spend any time developing Clocks?
          Experimentation is the only thing I've seen mentioned. That blog post also draws inspiration from a fairly long post on how hard it is to design the simplest things.

Having said that I agree that the current implementation seems pointless. Not only is the app ugly and screams unpolished mix of nice images, wasted space and crude squares but having it as a separate application that should be launched in the same way Firefox is launched is just bad design. Both it and weather should be integrated in the topbar get smaller and visually leaner.

Comment

Many thanks

I would like to thank GNOME Team for bringing such an innovative, yet efficient desktop environment without being stopped by the many criticisms it has gone through, which were for the most part, not grounded. I think a good summary of these could be "that's too different for me". Then, I think that what has been considered as not being attentive to their user base was just a necessary carrying on of their main ideas and concepts. GNOME 3 is now another mature alternative amongst desktop metaphors, and together with the likes of XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon and KDE, it proves that Linux can be used just the way users want it to look and behave.

Everyday I'm blown away by the slickness of my workflow using GNOME 3.6, which is the desktop environment which made me switch back from Openbox. If it was not for the simplicity and efficiency of this desktop environment, I still would stick with Openbox as my window manager of choice. Great ideas, great integration, great optimisation. That's what I want as far as my desktop is concerned, nothing more : a shell around my major apps, some useful tools without bloat. I know and I understand people who want something else, and I tell them that they're right. But please do not mess with the taste of others. GNOME is great work, and so are many other desktops around, and today more than ever, you have the choice between desktops which all have great support and a concept of their own.

Once again, my many thanks go to GNOME Team.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
              Have to admit I'm tempted to try it out (the proper Shell, not the potentially half-assed classic mode. I'm sure it will suit many people though).

Hurry up and land in Arch repos
              yeah. i watched a youtube video the other day showing off Gnome 3.8 features ~ I'm not really a GS fan (although, i do use the gnome 3(.6) stack), but it does look to have a slew of improvements, so i think i may take GS 3.8 for a spin, once it is in the Arch repos too

GS still may not meet my needs, but i'll give it a shot and see. ~ on that note, does anyone know if GS has a customizable hot-edges (as opposed to just using the corner for Activities)??? ... I really need an extension like that for my stylus.

Comment

Gnome 3 Classic Mode

Too little too late, but it can attract new users. Old ones won't be convinced.

Comment

I've mostly finished building gnome 3.8 on Fedora 18. The folder icons are a different colour. Not only are they a different colour, but surprisingly, the new colour isn't grey. They're now beige. Some new bugs in gedit, plus gedit now joins nautilus in endlessly spamming your terminal about the lack of a session manager. It's almost as if someone doesn't want you running these programs from a terminal under Openbox, not under a full GNOME desktop. gnome-settings-daemon no longer draws the wallpaper onto the root window, if you don't run gnome-shell, you need to use something else to do the wallpaper.

They've put a treeview back into nautilus, but they put back the wrong one. You get the tree within the listview, you still can't have a tree of folders in the sidebar.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    yeah. i watched a youtube video the other day showing off Gnome 3.8 features ~ I'm not really a GS fan (although, i do use the gnome 3(.6) stack), but it does look to have a slew of improvements, so i think i may take GS 3.8 for a spin, once it is in the Arch repos too
                    Yeah, still not in the repos though lol.

Gnome and KDE releases (maybe others but I havent paid attention to them) have been rather slow to hit the repos in Arch lately, dunno why.

There is the Gnome-Unstable repo, but I think even that isn't complete yet.

Comment

Got it installed and working from Gnome-Unstable, though ironically I login to Gnome-Shell from KDM, as GDM won't actually login at the moment for some reason.

Runs pretty well, some glitches with the icon theme ATM but otherwise okay. Zukitwo theme is updated for 3.8 and working nicely. Also Dash to Dock is highly recommended extension!

screenie http://i.imgur.com/nFdBt82.jpg

I'm gonna try living with it for a day or so and see how long it takes me to run screaming back to KDE. LOL

Or will I...

Comment

Working...
                      X