Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.8 Officially Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.8 Officially Released

The GNOME 3.8 Shell, Mutter, GTK+, and other 3.8 components of the GNOME Project were released on Wednesday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So now that Gnome has a Classic mode, I wonder if the Gnome 3 hate will die down some... probably not. Haters gonna hate.

Comment

Classic mode

Is the classic mode some half-assed shit?
      Last I saw some screenshots of it, then it looked really shitty and didn't seem nice at all.

Comment

People miss the point of Classic mode in my opinion - it is not there to recreate Gnome 2, just to bring it's layout to Gnome 3. At it's core it should and does function as Gnome 3 does, just with some slightly different trimmings (which is reasonable). If you want something more akin to Gnome 2 in development, layout, and design just use Xfce. With 4.10 any real complaints against it from those who liked Gnome 2 should be mute anyway - come one, the mouse does not bite. :P

Comment

Have to admit I'm tempted to try it out (the proper Shell, not the potentially half-assed classic mode. I'm sure it will suit many people though).

Hurry up and land in Arch repos

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            People miss the point of Classic mode in my opinion - it is not there to recreate Gnome 2, just to bring it's layout to Gnome 3. At it's core it should and does function as Gnome 3 does, just with some slightly different trimmings (which is reasonable). If you want something more akin to Gnome 2 in development, layout, and design just use Xfce. With 4.10 any real complaints against it from those who liked Gnome 2 should be mute anyway - come one, the mouse does not bite. :P
            I'm a proud user of Xfce. The only thing I miss from Gnome is more integrated applications. Some applications are not on par with Gnome's counterparts. Obviously because there is much more developers working for Gnome.

Comment

Yeah, it's not identical to Gnome 2 - it just addresses *some* of the G2 features that people miss. For example, it offers the more traditional application menus, and panels with a task list and view of multiple desktops, for people who don't like how Shell normally does those things. But those panels aren't the Gnome 2 panel - you can't move them around, can't add custom applets and stuff. If you want those things, classic mode doesn't help you.

Comment

MATE as fork of GNOME 2 seems a better alternative for gnome users than XFCE.

Comment

I'd really like to know some of the specifics involved in the Classic mode. Are these 3rd party extension that were adopted by the GNOME devs (if yes what does that mean about their maintenance and development) or were they written from scratch when the decision to create a classic mode in that form was made.

Apart from that I'm currently looking at ways to get this running on my F18. Gotta love gnome-shell these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                    I'd really like to know some of the specifics involved in the Classic mode. Are these 3rd party extension that were adopted by the GNOME devs (if yes what does that mean about their maintenance and development) or were they written from scratch when the decision to create a classic mode in that form was made.

Apart from that I'm currently looking at ways to get this running on my F18. Gotta love gnome-shell these days.
                    I believe they were written by scratch by the gnome devs, they are apart of the official repos now, and are maintained by the gnome devs. So either way, even if 1 or 2 of them were adopted from 3rd parties, upstream maintainers are now gnome it looks like.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X