Systemd 199 Has Its Own D-Bus Client Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bkor View Post
    Right, you replied to me saying answer the question. Yet you didn't ask a question to me. So why the fuck do you reply to me saying that I should've answered some question. Somewhat retarded behaviour.

Illogical shit I've seen from you:
    - Gentoo should follow upstream
    - Gentoo should split up systemd package into udev and systemd package
    - Distro specific changes in Gentoo is bad
    - Systemd should make a Gentoo-specific change

Making shit up / quote me please:

It indeed was not stupid, you called people retarded. My god, that really refutes things. You really wonder why you get so aggressive responses, fuckwad?
    How you gonna put words in my mouth? First of all gentoo -does- try to stay as close to upstream as it possibly can. That is one if its goals as a distribution. Second of all it should -not- be gentoo that splits udev from systemd into separate packages. It should be the upstream maintainers that make the split. They can still be developed together but they should be packaged independently.I have not idea what you mean by "Distro specific changes in Gentoo is bad" I never said that or anything like that. Obviously every distribution should try to adhere to upstream specifications whenever possible, but there are distro specific differences that are necessary. And I never said anything like "Systemd should make a Gentoo-specific change" Thats just more crap that you are blowing out your ass. And last but not least "you called people retarded" is total bullshit. I didnt call anyone retarded. I said that we have a wave of retardedness rolling over our world. Which is absolutely true from my perspective.

I think its time for you to stop making shit up and quote me next time you try to say I said something that I didnt say.

It isnt my fault that you can't understand the things that I said. Just because you arent capable of comprehending my opinions doesnt make them wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
      I have learnt
      * pulseaudio is not the promised land.
      * pulseaudio has bugs.
      * No ieda where to report them
      * systemd is one solution for all, wait - no
      * systemd services are distro specific and NOT compatible with each other
      * Every single distro needs to write their own service files.
      finally:
      * Gnome3 depends on pulseaudio, so this was the last time I tried Gnome3.
      Which year was that? Also, all your problems were due to misconfiguration. PulseAudio only crackles if there is a bug in the ALSA drivers, or if the daemon is incorrectly configured for your particular hardware. And systemd services are completely distribution-independent and shipped by upstream. The only problem here is that some projects are not transitioned to support systemd yet, or that the service files are removed by the distribution's packagers themselves. The same thing works the other way round - if a project does not ship OpenRC scripts, you can't start it using it, unless you write your own. In the case of systemd, writing unit files is easy enough that there are often several available versions - something you probably confused with them being distribution-specific. Also, if you use third-party service files, systemctl and journalctl will tell you exactly why a service failed to start. Then you can modify it accordingly. So, once again, all the problems you've had there was due to misconfiguration on your part.

Comment

• Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        For a long time I'm wondering what's wrong with my setup. Google didn't help.

This is with a emu10k1 card (SB Live! 5.1 Dell OEM [SB0228]).

I'm happy for any help with this.
        Speaking of which... TAXI, sorry we like completly ignored you. I do want to help you though. What distro are you? What version of Pulseaudio? By "SB LIVE!" I'm assuming youre using a SoundBlaster card?
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

• The PulseAudio debugging should probably be done on some other thread. Reporting it to PulseAudio's or distribution's bug tracker might also make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by frign View Post
            However, most problems you addressed with ALSA have been in regards to those during the transition-phase from OSS to ALSA, when ALSA was still buggy and lagging features. It now _does_ support bluetooth through "bluez", it definitely has been fixed in regards to io-routing and it is not a big bloated hog clobbering the user-space, being well-integrated into the Kernel.
            ALSA itself has supported Bluetooth & the like for quite some time, but most userspace applications used ALSA in a way that didn't work (well) with Bluetooth, and those same applications also didn't work well with PulseAudio's ALSA emulation.

So, if anything, PulseAudio probably helped to fix a lot of those applications (if 80% of your users use PA & complain, that's harder to ignore than those 2% bluetooth users before).

Comment

• Pulseaudio's main problem was that Ubuntu pushed it out to end users before it was ready for prime time (and I complained about it plenty myself). Now it works pretty well on every system where I've tried it, and much better than older Linux audio interfaces.

Comment

• Originally posted by frign View Post
                No, it actually isn't. It is my hobby to optimise computer systems and I am currently working on eudev (Gentoo fork) to make it more efficient. No one has to go this extreme, but it is fun to break the barriers.
                Today's OS's are memory-hogs and we should not start to waste so many ressources just because they are available, we should work on optimising current systems so they can bring even more performance.
                Good point that's still valid for the majority of the older systems still chugging along...386s anyone?

Comment

• Just because you have a lot of RAM doesnt mean that OS needs to use it all up. RAM is for applications,.... I assume you don't let your computer idle while watching memory utilization max out and think "WOW!! That's soooo coooool!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Which year was that?
                    2013. Tested with pulseaudio-2.1 and 3.0, systemd-196, gnome-3.6.3, most recent kernel at that moment.
                    It did not crackle with every media. Mp3, Ogg, etc. were just fine. I was really pleased about that (already had pulseaudio-1.x on my system, which produced high CPU load, really bad sound etc.).
                    The only files that made trouble were .mkv's I had generated from my DVDs. And they are essential for me during winter

And IMHO packages should contain a usable default configuration. Anytime I read "if pulseaudio does not work it's the fault of your distribution - it should configure pulseaudio to its needs." I'm getting mad. There were times certain distributions configured kde to their needs and introduced silly bugs. KDE makes a point of a good default configuration. You don't have to like it (oxygen style or color scheme) but it is not buggy.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                      And IMHO packages should contain a usable default configuration. Anytime I read "if pulseaudio does not work it's the fault of your distribution - it should configure pulseaudio to its needs."
                      To my understanding the configuration problems refer to external packages (Java for example) and not PulseAudio itself (excluding the early Ubuntu releases). I don't think any(?) distribution tinkers much with the defaults.

Comment

Working...
                      X