Linux Group Files Complaint With EU Over SecureBoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Microsoft should have every right to secure their systems as they see fit. This endless whining over SecureBoot is getting ridiculous.
    Their systems sure, but not my pc.

openSUSE supports both, uefi and secureboot.

But to install suse, you need to go into windows 8, and tell windows to boot from dvd at next start up.

Pc stand for personal computer, not for m$ controlled system.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post

But to install suse, you need to go into windows 8, and tell windows to boot from dvd at next start up.

Completely agree.

Comment

If you're buying a Windows 8-certified PC, that's what you're getting. Don't want it locked down? Don't buy it.

The idea that a manufacturer doesn't have a right to control their product or try things to make it more secure is kinda absurd.

Comment

If you're buying a Windows 8-certified PC, that's what you're getting. Don't want it locked down? Don't buy it.

The idea that a manufacturer doesn't have a right to control their product or try things to make it more secure is kinda absurd.
          MS does not build pc's So they are not a pc manufacturer.
          Yet at the moment, if I buy a new motherboard, I have a problem, when I want to install Linux, because of w8.

You seem to fail to understand the difference between an os and a pc.

Comment

Windows 8-certified means that device support that operating system with the ability to disable it
            .It seems that manufacturer lost that right when they let themselves dictated by a single software company instead of adhering to real industrial standards for a long time.

Comment

Microsoft should have every right to secure their systems as they see fit.
              Sure and it has the right to do that in "Microsoft PCs", but they make none (I do not count Microsoft Surface as PC)....

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
                Sure and it has the right to do that in "Microsoft PCs", but they make none (I do not count Microsoft Surface as PC)....
                They clearly partner with vendors such as Dell and HP to sell "Microsoft-certified" PCs.

If somebody wants an Arch Linux PC from Dell or whoever, they're free to plead their case.

Comment

MS does not build pc's So they are not a pc manufacturer.
                  Yet at the moment, if I buy a new motherboard, I have a problem, when I want to install Linux, because of w8.

You seem to fail to understand the difference between an os and a pc.
                  For my edification, on which motherboards can you not install Linux "at the moment"? I'd like to know so I can scratch them off my list.

Comment

This is completely incorrect. you don't even have to boot windows 8 once to install SuSE on a win8 certified PC. You can go straight into the BIOS setup and disable Secure Boot, delete the platform keys and what not (and replace them with your own keys if you wish). This takes 30 seconds, at most.

I just did so on two random production laptops last week. Took me literally that - 30 seconds - before I could install a Linux OS.

The amount of FUD by folks in this thread is just incredible. Please stop spreading nonsense, and educate yourself.

For a good read, go and read Matthew Garrett's blog - http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/

And please, stop repeating nonsense, you're only adding to the misinformation.

Don't believe me? Try James Bottomley's HOWTO describing how to own your own system: http://blog.hansenpartnership.com/ow...uefi-platform/

Comment

For my edification, on which motherboards can you not install Linux "at the moment"? I'd like to know so I can scratch them off my list.
                      This is a much more intesting question: Are motherboards sold without OS but with Microsoft keys? I would somewhat frown on that, and I would certainly think that's a very. very slippery slope legally. Also, are these motherboards even shipped with Secure Boot enabled? My guess is, none of that, and this is all misinformation.

But if you find a motherboard like this, please share this information. There's a few folks that would love to know, not just for scratch list purposes.

Comment

Working...
                      X