Enlightenment's Terminal Brings In Fancy Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by werdanith View Post
    If you haven't already you should look into terminal multiplexers, screen/tmux/byobu. Lots of features, can run in the background and get accessed from multiple machines with ssh.
    I try to avoid using the terminal in general but in some rare cases a split mode is usefull.

Originally posted by Rexilion
    That is your new file manager...
    NO

Comment

Over the top

I don't really see the need for those things. Browsing through an image-directory is simpler using an external program like evince or feh, which has more advanced features, and accessing URLs by clicking on them is not really new.
      Overall, I don't like the style of this wm and terminal emulator, but I am happy to see everyone of us has the choice to use whatever he likes best (I use dwm with st from suckless.org) and am happy with it (I get my stuff done), but when people think they get their stuff done with those "features", then why should we stop them?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        That is your new file manager...
        Maybe it's just missing some basic interaction with mouse, like change directory, list and order to be (also) the file manager

Comment

In my opinion the filemanager is almost good enough. I only miss a few things like "right click -> extract here" or tabs and there are still a few bugs, but on the other hand it already has awesome features like the ability to navigate just by typing text like "Pictures/" or "../".

Comment

Originally posted by werdanith View Post
            Terminology looks like a great desktop environment. It only lacks a decent terminal emulator.
            The terminal emulator isn't that bad actually, considering how young it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              If only rasterman loved the file manager as much as terminology.
              Limited time. Too many things to do. E's FM only got so much love in it because time has to be spent elsewhere. Some day it'll get more time invested. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
                +1

It looks fun to watch, but this "kind" of features excluding tyls ("tyled list"), I don't see any benefit of them.

Anyway, it is really refreshing to see a new approach for the issue that a lot of people would want to solve. Maybe it will be the starting point for a Total Commander like on Linux that have a better visuals and better integration with video playback, pictures and such.
                Ummm tyls == terminology ls (primitive ls replacement with thumbnails/icons). If you spend your day with text config files and thats it.. it's useless to you (beyond giving you visual markers that easily show directory from file etc.), but if you don't see the utility of it, you do not spend your days in your terminal in a directory full of images and you are popping up image viewers all the time to wonder "so what was bg_vertical_shaded.png vs bg_vertical_dim.png"... having an instant previewed thumbnails tells you that with no extra work. It's a time saver, if you ever have to deal with visual data during your day in a terminal. e.g. editing web pages would make use of this a lot as you edit the css/html maybe in vi, but you'd like to quickly see the images in the dir without bringing up an image viewer.

Comment

Nice concept!
                  Too bad that tyls/tycat doesn't work with tmux yet. :-(

Comment

Got to admit, this looks really cool.

Comment

E and everything surrounding it looks really bright at the moment!

Comment

Working...
                      X