Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Engine Works On Panorama, OpenGL

Phoronix: Unigine Engine Works On Panorama, OpenGL

Another round of updates have gone into the impressive multi-platform multi-renderer Unigine Engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would prefer to know why Oilrush is NOT on Steam/Linux when lots of other games are. Also there is no demo version available. Unigine does not seem to work as multiplattform as others do...

Comment

This looks really cool, especially with Valley's sweepnig outdoor scenes. Excellent demo.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Oilrush was released before there was Steam for Linux...

Comment

From what I read the Opengl performance of the engine is still quite bad, in their valley benchmarks opengl gives you about half the framerate and on linux its even worse so while it is nice that it works they really need to improve on the performance.

Comment

I've heard it's less severe on Nvidia, but I can confirm that there's about 40-50% performance loss when switching from Direct 3D to OpenGL (I tested both Valley and Heaven). However, in my test, the difference between Windows (OGL) and Linux (OGL) was negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
              I've heard it's less severe on Nvidia, but I can confirm that there's about 40-50% performance loss when switching from Direct 3D to OpenGL (I tested both Valley and Heaven). However, in my test, the difference between Windows (OGL) and Linux (OGL) was negligible.
              Well I never really tested it myself on linux but I did find a 50% to 55% drop in framerate on windows with my hd7950 both on stock and overclocked. Someone else compared linux opengl and windows opengl on similar specs and came around a difference of 4 fps which may not sound but with the framerates he got it was still a 20% drop. I can't find the benchmarks at the moment so I can't retest it. This was when the Valley benchmark just got released btw.

Comment

I've got a FirePro M7820... I've still got a copy of the Heaven results, so here you are:

- Core i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67GHz
                - ATI FirePro M7820 8.982.8.3000
                - 1920x1200 fullscreen, High Quality

Windows (D3D11) 10.5 16.2 31
                Windows (OGL) 4.8 (-54%) 10 (-38%) 17.3 (-44%)
                Linux (OGL) 4.6 (-56%) 9.5 (-41%) 17.6 (-43%)

Comment

Zlib compression? Does that mean they implemented deflate decompression on the gpu?

Comment

Not very Linux-related perhaps - but for one am glad that the "Oculus Rift" is being dragged into the mainstream (slowly)

Comment

Working...
                    X