Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: GTK+ Is Becoming Very Usable With Wayland

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    One of the most annoying aspects about Mir, is having to deal with everyone who inevitable attributes all post-Mir Wayland developments to it's announcement. While there surely was some unification spurred by Canonical's retarded choice to divide one of the most fundamental pieces of the Linux desktop environment, the Wayland progress you're seeing now is due to many months of work gone on before that announcement.
    +1. You don't actually have more development on Wayland, it is just that the announcement of Mir lead to more news coverage on Wayland, so that people suddenly believe there would be more effort.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,739

    Default

    All i am waiting is the mozilla people.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    +1. You don't actually have more development on Wayland, it is just that the announcement of Mir lead to more news coverage on Wayland, so that people suddenly believe there would be more effort.
    Not to mention Mir was announced right around a time when many of Wayland's fruits are beginning to ripen.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    One of the most annoying aspects about Mir, is having to deal with everyone who inevitable attributes all post-Mir Wayland developments to it's announcement. While there surely was some unification spurred by Canonical's retarded choice to divide one of the most fundamental pieces of the Linux desktop environment, the Wayland progress you're seeing now is due to many months of work gone on before that announcement.
    Thank you.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    Nvidia did say at a point that they will not support (ever) wayland
    Not even close - what they said was that they had no plans to support Wayland. Not having any plans when someone asked several years ago is a very different matter from saying that they weren't going to support it.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    Finally things are coming together on desktop side of Linux.
    I think it's a rainy windy road still . Late 2013's still distant, and we don't know yet the outcome of wayland.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    55

    Default GTK+ Is Becoming Very Usable With Wayland

    I for one applaud this. It's about time we get something 'fit for everyday use' out of wayland.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Not even close - what they said was that they had no plans to support Wayland. Not having any plans when someone asked several years ago is a very different matter from saying that they weren't going to support it.
    thats maybe not exact, but it was of course "close".

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ripps818 View Post
    All this Wayland progress looks nice, but I can't even test it until there's an Nvidia blob for Wayland. Nouveau doesn't work with my gt240 ddr5 card, so the proprietary driver is my only choice if I want to have graphical desktop...
    Out of curiosity, by 'does not work' you mean it won't even start X properly (rainbow colours immediately before even reaching the login screen)?

    What happens if you disable acceleration? Is the desktop even usable if you do?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    thats maybe not exact, but it was of course "close".
    No, "we do not" and "we will not" are not close.
    And "will not ever" is right out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •