Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GTK+ 3.8.0 Supports Wayland 1.0, Better Performance

Quote Originally Posted by molecule-eye View Post
    You must be using open source gpu drivers, because those of us who aren't won't be able to ditch X until AMD and nvidia get their acts together.
    I think Nvidia is implementing EGL or OpenGL ES in their proprietary driver, then I think maybe Wayland will work with the proprietary drivers too.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I think Nvidia is implementing EGL or OpenGL ES in their proprietary driver, then I think maybe Wayland will work with the proprietary drivers too.
    If memory serves, Wayland needs an EGL extension, so Wayland will work with NVidia's EGL implementation only if NVidia adds this extension.

Quote Originally Posted by drago01 View Post
    http://fishsoup.net/misc/wm-spec-synchronization.html (see this blog post http://blog.fishsoup.net/2012/11/28/...frame-display/ for why it is needed).

GTK does not render using OpenGL, but yes we added support for GLX_EXT_BUFFER_AGE / EGL_EXT_BUFFER_AGE to clutter and cogl.
    Which means on supported drivers you have no tearing and improved performance when running clutter apps (like gnome-shell).
    Yes, thanks. Been looking everywhere(I guess all the wrong places) for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    Rather leave X alone, as its staying for a long time to come..
    Only for applications that won't be ported to Wayland anytime soon. KDE and Gnome should work without X quite soon. X is as good as dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    X is as good as dead.
    * Bookmark * > Jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Only for applications that won't be ported to Wayland anytime soon. KDE and Gnome should work without X quite soon. X is as good as dead.
    It's already dead, and nobody is using it.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    It's already dead, and nobody is using it.
    That's almost true. It's just getting into your way and wastes CPU or GPU cycles and does nearly nothing todays. I hope you understand the difference between dri*, gallium3D, drivers and X?

Will people stop being so snotty about the current lack of blob support? I am sorry if this bothers you, but this is simply showing why free drivers are necessary as well as highlighting one of the areas where blobs are going to be innately disadvantaged. Those of us that are using free drivers that can work cleanly with upstream are of course going to be privy to advances like this first (which is ironic considering that we are also disadvantaged at the moment when it comes to accessing some of the advances when it comes to the hardware itself). I guess you win some, you lose some sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by drago01 View Post
    I suppose it does make the most sense for it to reside there.
    BTW, your post didn't exist when I started my post.