No announcement yet.

Gallium3D Gets A Heads-Up Display For Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this grows into something as nice as RivaTuner is on Windows, the graphs are already ahead of RT's overlay, but I'd love to also have the narious system temps and fan speed control as well as overclocking all rolled into one tool.

Comment

This is pretty cool to have built-in and not require a third-party shim.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
        Give an example of a warm non-userfocused feature implemented in mesa3d graphics library.
        Um, what do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          I hope this grows into something as nice as RivaTuner is on Windows, the graphs are already ahead of RT's overlay, but I'd love to also have the narious system temps and fan speed control as well as overclocking all rolled into one tool.
          I don't think that would be possible. This is a tool for the gallium driver not the kernel driver. So I don't think it would be very easy to have it report capability outside if gallium.

Comment

I think that was his point; isn't Intel (one of) the only drivers with a high user-base which doesn't use gallium3d?

(Edit: Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily...but it's certainly unfortunate, at least in this case
            Edit2: Oh, wait, I thought you were replying to a different comment...not sure how that happened. Nevermind. D: )
            Last edited by Nobu; 26 March 2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              I don't think that would be possible. This is a tool for the gallium driver not the kernel driver. So I don't think it would be very easy to have it report capability outside if gallium.
              I was under the impression that they where working on over/underclocking for all hardware supported by Gallium3D drivers, as well I thought that for at least the Intel and AMD GPUs that they would be able to get data from the GPU's temperature sensors(my 8800GTS has both intake are and GPU core temp sensors), which combined with load statistics, VRam usage, GPU load, CPU load, CPU temps, and if available system, chipset and etc. temperature sensors if they can be polled would all be useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Um, what do you mean?
                Just joking. Maybe the development of mesa created so many expectations, hopes and anticipation that when the end results are seen in a project we call it a user-focused improvement My point is that every code contributed to mesa is (or will be someday) user-focused. We're not talking about IBM here..

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  I was under the impression that they where working on over/underclocking for all hardware supported by Gallium3D drivers, as well I thought that for at least the Intel and AMD GPUs that they would be able to get data from the GPU's temperature sensors(my 8800GTS has both intake are and GPU core temp sensors), which combined with load statistics, VRam usage, GPU load, CPU load, CPU temps, and if available system, chipset and etc. temperature sensors if they can be polled would all be useful information.
                  Just like it includes CPU load, you can add any sensor or other input that's available from the system. The patches to do so wouldn't be big.

OTOH I doubt they'd accept patches for fan speeds and so, but you could always just keep those to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                    Just joking. Maybe the development of mesa created so many expectations, hopes and anticipation that when the end results are seen in a project we call it a user-focused improvement My point is that every code contributed to mesa is (or will be someday) user-focused. We're not talking about IBM here..
                    Yeah, maybe my post was badly worded. You know what I meant

That is, changes in the user interface, to be used by mere mortals. Other things in this category are driconf guis, postprocessing, intel-gpu-top, temp sensor applets and so on.

Comment

It's my understanding that there are 3 systems involved with making a graphics card work in linux.... KMS which is responsible for modesetting. DRI2 which is responsible for initializing the hardware and setting states like clock speed and reading information like temperatures. And Gallium3d which is responsible for rendering on the 3d engine....

If I'm understanding this new capability properly it seems that it uses gallium drivers to gather data. It probably won't be very easy to make it work with data collected from DRI2 drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X