Wayland/Weston Gets Forked As "GH-Next"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    About the whole situation, it feels like a fork is the right thing to do in the short term. In the long term they could be merged back, or one could become obsolete. But only time will tell. Also, there is no real reason for both parties to be mad at each other. What's done is done, making relations even worse will only result in the FFmpeg/libav split, and that's not optimal in the slightest. Both parties still need to cooperate and exchange ideas - the goals are the same, after all, the only difference is the review process.
    This seems a lot more like the calligra/koffice split to me. One person on the team was extremely hard to deal with, so the rest just decided "fuck it, we aren't dealing with this anymore" and booted him off the team. Calligra is now moving ahead at a faster pace than ever after the motivation-killer left, and no one has heard anything from koffice in a long, long time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      I am sorry I want not to insult him or fuel his anger, or something, I just think he is a psychopath or at least he is in danger to become one.
      Originally posted by intellivision View Post
      Saying someone is a psychopath without any medical evidence

So most of you here should have programming skills, so the basic behind logical terms like OR should be there. If not maybe if you work as programmer or admin where you also need to write some scripts quit your job.

If I say you are a ashole or a not easy person, its you that thinks that I hit the point with the ashole not me...

I also find it funny that somebody 3rd thinks he has to point me to that point again and again, even after I kind of apoledgised, for even something I did not say, but that I did not think of how a search engine a.i. could be to stupid to ignore the OR.

So if that would really get a problem for him, the question is whos fault is that. There is first his ashole behaviour, Second me responding to it, and 3rd a bad search engine programmer, and 4. a company or a boss of a company that gives a shit some anonymous man in a forum said in anger.

And again why do you defend him so hard because of my statement but if Pallidus calls me a nazi (no or) and a piece of shit.

I mean lets be real, if somebody is a peace of shit he is not even a human, if somebody is sick, he needs help but is not even responsible of his doings. So I gave him even a possible excuse for his behaviour.

But I would have quit your group anyway and silencly made a fork, and maybe even just used it for myself, what every normal person does, you make a pull... then you do your stuff, and if nobody wants your stuff, use it for yourself, and maybe if not in 5 minutes you have uploaded it to github.

I dont even understand why somebody can make such a big deal of nothing.

Sorry I answered again, but I cant believe how somebody can make such big deal out of one word, and even not accept a apolodgise.

The problem with soreau was not that he did say 1 time 1 wrong word, he said again and again and again stupid shit. like the irc logs logs show. So dont try to focus on me using one wrong word out of context ( OR ) because I am used to talk to anonymous people in forums and did not think about that.

I just wanted to give my opinion to that, its not like politicans or celebrities got not 100 times insulting messages, that are maybe often wrong. its the price of beeing a known person. And if the press reports about someone, he gets a public person. So there are other rules against public persons. (there are maybe different grades how public a person is and how "famous") but thats a question I dont want to think here for hours

UPDATE:

BTW which boss googles "person I am interested in" psychopath ? Or is there a tags-applied.google.com subsite I dont know off?

And I thought I am paranoid, not using facebook and twitter.

Btw another mistake by you, you said I would have called him a psychopath, even if you ignore the OR its wrong, I said I THINK he is. I did not say I give the diagnose that he is a ...
      Last edited by blackiwid; 28 March 2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I wonder when Phoronix starts selling popcorn.

Comment

Wow. This thread has been utterly shameful.

I'm a professional programmer; I've never been involved in a FOSS project before, but I always imagined they operated pretty similar to corporate projects - perhaps with more relaxed deadlines.

For the same reason that I couldn't imagine myself, or any of my work colleagues, getting into a screaming contest in the office - I really didn't think I would see that in a FOSS project either. There are always going to be people you may not like at work, but you still treat them with courtesy and respect because it creates a good working environment despite your differences. Unfortunately it seems that taking away the money and face-to-face contact has destroyed that.

There seems to be some big egos around here, perhaps shining a light on their interpersonal skills may bring them down a peg or two.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
            Yes.

For the same reason that I couldn't imagine myself, or any of my work colleagues, getting into a screaming contest in the office - I really didn't think I would see that in a FOSS project either. There are always going to be people you may not like at work, but you still treat them with courtesy and respect because it creates a good working environment despite your differences. Unfortunately it seems that taking away the money and face-to-face contact has destroyed that.
            Agreed. Do you feel anybody who was involved, other than soreau, has not been courteous and respectful? He has admitted being discourteous and disrespectful to everyone in the project for a year, and said he doesn't believe that matters. The only screaming came from soreau. I think everybody else involved has shown incredible restraint.

12:28 < soreau> I DONT GIVE A SHIT what you ignorant people think about attitude, politics and a bunch of crap that doesn't even matter
            12:32 < Darxus> soreau: FYI, not giving a shit about people is exactly your problem.
            12:32 < soreau> Darxus: You're a fucking idiot

So we had one problem person, and took too long to kick him out. When we did, there was some public outcry because it could easily seem from the outside that it was inappropriate to kick him out. We were asked to explain it, so we did. And then soreau has tried to use the situation to gain an audience, and a couple of us have pointed out the problems with his arguments.

It's possible you're interpreting some unfortunate participation from the peanut gallery as being others actually involved in the project. Both in IRC logs and elsewhere.
            Last edited by Darxus; 28 March 2013, 10:49 AM. Reason: Replaced "uncourteous" with "discourteous".

Comment

Nah, the difference between software companies and FOSS projects is that the latter are completely open for everyone to see, thus are easy news targets when things like that happen. In a company, if something like that happened, the press would not be there to see it happening. Plus, in FOSS you are free to create forks, and you can't fork a company just because you thought your boss was being mean. So conflicts like that do happen in both cases, and in both cases these events are very rare, just that it's much easier to see such events when the whole process is completely transparent to outsiders.

Comment

I'm a professional programmer; I've never been involved in a FOSS project before, but I always imagined they operated pretty similar to corporate projects - perhaps with more relaxed deadlines.

There seems to be some big egos around here, perhaps shining a light on their interpersonal skills may bring them down a peg or two.
                You don't code for FOSS because you're getting paid to do it, you do it because you're passionate about it. And when you're Pssionate about something, you're gonna get passionately defensive about it.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  You don't code for FOSS because you're getting paid to do it
                  Well, some do...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    Well, some do...
                    I was speaking on the whole dee. Even those working at red hat probably chose red hat because they were passionate about the work and open source.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      So most of you here should have programming skills, so the basic behind logical terms like OR should be there. If not maybe if you work as programmer or admin where you also need to write some scripts quit your job.
                      [...]
                      Sorry I answered again, but I cant believe how somebody can make such big deal out of one word, and even not accept a apolodgise.
                      Firstly, the OR statement that you made was essentially the same thing. You called him a psychopath OR almost a psychopath. And you think that's any better?
                      In many countries this sort of accusation could be considered slander and it could open you up to legal action. Just a heads up before you go about making wild inaccurate claims in the future. Lawyers are damned expensive, you know.

Secondly, what apology? There was nothing in there that was structured or spelt close to an apology.

Comment

Working...
                      X