You Can Now Overclock Your Intel GPU Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    Is this with the new drivers reported here? Or an older driver? What driver version are we talking?
    I am not install any patch or extra driver. I use the Kernel 3.8. Apparently, my problem was only related to improper monitoring. I do not know if i7z can monitor your i5.
    Now I think to see if your processor is using turbo, you can do the following:
    Disable Turbo Mode from the BIOS. Compress a folder with a lot of different files (better in 7z), and control the time it takes to complete the task.
    Then enable the Turbo Mode. Compress the same folder and check the time.
    Compare the times.
    Last edited by YAFU; 25 March 2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Nice I could help...

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
      [..]
      I do not know if i7z can monitor your i5.
      [..]
      Despite the name, i7z works (meanwhile) also with i5 and i3 CPUs.
      Give it a try dh04000...

Comment

Originally posted by Ren H?ek View Post
        Nice I could help...

Despite the name, i7z works (meanwhile) also with i5 and i3 CPUs.
        Give it a try dh04000...
        It works on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit with Xswat PPA.

So, why is this update to the drivers needed?

Comment

The article is about overclocking the integrated GPU, not the CPU cores (which should work for the most out of the box)...
          ... as both is called Turbo it got mixed up in the discussion, I guess.

Comment

The article is about overclocking the integrated GPU, not the CPU cores (which should work for the most out of the box)...
            ... as both is called Turbo it got mixed up in the discussion, I guess.

OH! I see. So now the gpu will be overclocked as well, so game performance can benefit from i3-i7's Turbo ability as well?

Cool. Sounds good to me.

Comment

Overclocking an HD4000(GT2) on a i7 3770 is working great!

Salut,

I made a few tests and I was able to reach 1.5GHz easily with the GPU. I only increased the voltage by 100mv but I am not sure it was really necessary.

Currently, everything is stable. Actually, GNOME-shell runs better & smoother than earlier.

I am on Debian Wheezy 64bit with GNOME-shell 3.4.2-7 + some pkg from the experimental repo.

mesa 8.0.5-4 (wheezy) + 3.8.3-1-gpuoc-debcool-00 (3.8.3-1~experimental.1 + Daniel Vetter's patch) + xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.20.14-1 + libdrm-intel1 2.4.40-1 + i965-va-driver 1.0.19-1 + libva1 1.1.0-1 & libva-x11-1 + libva-intel-vaapi-driver 1.0.19-1 (all previous from experimental repo)

Here are some values I've got from sysfs:

min= 350
              from gt_cur_freq_mhz= 400
              RP1= 650
              from gt_cur_freq_mhz= 700
              RP0 = 1150
              from gt_cur_freq_mhz= 1250
              from max and gt_cur_freq_mhz= 1500 !!!

Here is the list of games I have tested in 1920x1080(+-15min each):

Games included in Debian
              0 A.D = perfect!
              Nexuiz = vsync on + most of the graphical options at their max.
              TORC's = all options at their max.
              Chromium = Perfect
              OpenInvaders = "

Steam games:
              ROCHARD = perfect!
              i Bomber Attack = perfect!
              SHANK 2 = perfect during the game by it freezed when I tried to quit.
              Trine 2 = could be better. Low quality texture, vsync off, anti aliasing off. The mouse didn't move smoothly.

remark: I don't think those issues were related to the overclocking but to steam or something else...

Nothing to say about the temperature; I haven't found any changes. When the GPU is at 1500MHz and the CPU is at full charge, the temperature still 60? maximum and lower than 30? at idle.

I'll try more tests and games later and give you feedback.

You might try http://code.google.com/p/i7z/ to monitor your CPU under load.
              While other methods are sometimes misleading, it shows (at least for me) that turbo is indeed working...
              Awesome, huge thanks for this. It is very usefull.

A+
              Debcool

PS: Thanks to Daniel Vetter and all Intel Open Source's dev for their effort!
              Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Working...
              X