AMD Catalyst 13.3 Beta 3 Available For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    No it isn't. Not the driver API anyway. It changes every time a developer's ass itches.
    To be fair, that is mostly an issue for out-of-tree drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      No it isn't. Not the driver API anyway. It changes every time a developer's ass itches.
      Userspace visible API is backwards compatible. In-kernel private APIs are not.

Comment

I haven't used fglrx in a few months. Is the 2D performance still as bad as it used to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          As i packaged several amd fglrx beta releases with Debian kernel 3.7/3.8 patches i can say what happened was a 1:1 integration of those. Amd did not need to do much, those have been provided by the community. Now to Serious Sam 3, there is absolutely no working fix, the lastest public beta from SS3 shows the menu correct, but the first logo is with artefacts. When you don't use gfxRestart() while the menu is shown (or via pressing Alt+Enter twice) then serveral textures like trees flicker in the level you start then. Also the OpenGL performace in Linux is very bad, on Win OpenGL is faster - at least using Killing Floor. SS3 with my HD 5670 is more or less unplayable when there are lots of enemies shown. If AMD wants to provide the GPU for a steambox then they should begin working on OpenGL much harder than they did before. Users with slower CPUs have got even more problems, then even Source engine games are unplayable, with slower i mean Phenom X4/X6 and FX. i7 seems to have got more power to run Source engine better. KF with every possible renderer on 3 gfx solutions tested including fglrx 13.3 beta 3:

I recorded some simple demos (could add others or replace em if needed) and made a little script to select em. It always uses the default res (can only parse 1 monitor) and writes that into the default config. In the comments you see what to change if you want to use your standard settings instead. I used 1 level with nvidia rendering bugs, 1 normal speed one, 2 with speed problems.

If i would use the performance mode with my cpu i could gain 2 fps, but thats pointless - maybe with slower systems you gain more. I don't understandt at all why the OpenGL performance is better on Win than on Linux. Amd (and Nvidia too!) should really profile the driver to find the cause of this difference. Intel has a max. difference of 25% for OpenGL, D3D(9) with KF is extra slow, Intel Win driver devs could do some profiling as well
          Maybe its different for me because I don't have the same video card/cpu but I haven't had any problems with Serious sam 3, its slower under linux but still very playable. OpenGl performance is pretty close for me in Unigine and minecraft with sonic ethers shaders (those are the only games/benchmarks I have that run opengl under windows). I'm running linux mint 14 and my system is an i5 [email protected] with a radeon 7970. My GF isn't having any problems either on her system since I installed linux mint 14 and steam. She plays amnesia the dark descent, penumbra overture and world of goo and they all seem to run fine. Her system is an i5 [email protected] with a radeon 7950 (she did have a 6870 and she didn't have problems on it either)

Comment

Watermark

Will they ever remove that ridiculous watermark? Will they ever fix the default underscan setting? Will they ever give us Windows feature parity, e.g. in ccc?

Comment

Changelog

Pleasantly surprised to see a changelog!
              I hope it is not just a one-time thing only!
              I hope they continue with it!

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                I haven't used fglrx in a few months. Is the 2D performance still as bad as it used to be?
                I believe it was 13.1, that fixed some 2d problem for me.

Now the screen, in Fire fox is as on windows. No flickering.
                Smooth.
                Scrolling a page, no problem. Not anymore......
                Before I only had to move the mouse to know if I was on Linux.
                Now I need to look at the bottom or top of my screen to tell which os I use.

hd 5750 with phenom II x4 3.2.

Although I am very happy about this it took them long enough.

How poor is that code, that on my specs, a webbrower is an issue.

I hope I sound cynical, but I try to look forward.

Amd is improving their drivers.

On team fortress 2 it has improved to a point I need a benchmark to tell if there is a difference between Linux and w7.

I once did made mods, maps for some other game, the driver problem with SS3, looks obvious to me.
                A problem with semi transparent textures. Textures with alpha mask. grass, leafs on trees, blood splatter.

alt + enter twice at start screen, solves the flickering problem for me.
                I am currently not running beta drivers.

Comment

I dont know how much faster your card is but with the autodetected SS3 settings for my HD 5670 the game is much below 25 fps when many enemies are on the screen. Must be something weird going on that slows the game down that much.

Comment

hang on shutdown

x crashs again on shutdown with 13.3 on hybrid system (intel/amd gpu) cs condition zero low fps (i played with intel hd 3000 without problems) is more the same, amd can?t do a working or a good perfomance driver for linux or windows. the engenniers from amd are completely stupid or incompetent, i really nedd to sell my laptop i buy one with only intel gpu

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                      x crashs again on shutdown with 13.3 on hybrid system (intel/amd gpu) cs condition zero low fps (i played with intel hd 3000 without problems) is more the same, amd can?t do a working or a good perfomance driver for linux or windows. the engenniers from amd are completely stupid or incompetent, i really nedd to sell my laptop i buy one with only intel gpu
                      +1... BACKLIGHT ADJUSTMENT STILL BROKEN ON MY LAPTOP. Last working version was 13.1. Yes I've reported. Yes I've tested every beta since.

Honestly I'm just waiting for Haswell and I'll never touch AMD graphics again in my life. Glad I've always stayed with nvidia on my desktop machine too.

Comment

Working...
                      X